drop cloth

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:51 pm
So I was walking around dollartree and this caught my eye a plastic drop cloth
http://m.dollartree.com/mt/www.dollartr ... ro#details

Says it's good for autobody I mean I know you get what you pay
But you guys think this would work if your trying to do panel blends or even build a temporary paint booth

For a buck would you try it?
Last edited by 1038 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manufacturer
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:35 pm
I would try it. If you drop paint on it will it melt, yes I'm sure. Will it stop over spray and create a makeshift booth sure. I say for a buck, go for it. Can't beat that!

Good Luck

Tammy
Tamco
https://www.facebook.com/TamcoPaint

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:11 pm
But so paint would melt the plastic

Manufacturer
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:17 pm
Well I mean yeah if you dropped paint on it, it will melt thru thin plastic. The solvent in the paint will do that. But your plan wont be to be spillin paint all around I would hope right?! lol ;-)

It will work for overspray purposes. And that's the whole point of a make shift booth or laying it on the floor. So again, I say go for it! :-)

Thanks
Tammy

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:06 am
Awesome I get what your saying over spray won't hurt it but a spill will..

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:18 pm
1038 wrote: I know you get what you pay
But you guys think this would work if your trying to do panel blends or even build a temporary paint booth

Sure, go ahead. And when the paint flakes off and drops in your clear you can join the other novices who had the same problem. There are masking plastics made for the autobody industry. Does your cheap plastic label state "paint won't flake off"?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:50 pm
ScottB wrote:
1038 wrote: I know you get what you pay

Sure, go ahead. And when the paint flakes off and drops in your clear you can join the other novices who had the same problem. There are masking plastics made for the autobody industry. Does your cheap plastic label state "paint won't flake off"?

What crawled up you **** and died you pro I was just asking maybe there's DIY guys who can save a a few bucks by using this and on the description it did say it was good for autobody. Last time I checked this was autobody101....101 I hope the fumes haven't gone to your head and you still remember what 1 0 1 means :knockout:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:39 am
For a buck, go for it. (I'm assuming you could buy one roll in the store, as opposed to the 48 roll minimum in your link). Check to see if the paint will flake off on a scrap piece before using it on a project. Check both sides of the plastic, sometimes one side will allow paint to adhere, one side won't. IMHO, it's too thin for lining a booth, for that you're better off with plastic that's at least 3 mil.
If the paint doesn't flake off, keep in mind, you're making the task of taping for blending more difficult by using this plastic.
For blending, you're much better off using pre-taped masking paper. You apply the paper so it initially covers the area you want to paint, then fold it back on itself and tape it down to the area you don't want to paint. This will be a big help in preventing a hard edge.

Manufacturer
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:20 am
I just want to say here, he said "drop cloth" or make shift booth, not plastic to mask off a car!
:-)

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:18 am
1038 wrote:But you guys think this would work if your trying to do panel blends or even build a temporary paint booth

TamcoPaint wrote:I just want to say here, he said "drop cloth" or make shift booth, not plastic to mask off a car!
:-)

His sentence suggests using it on the car.

Return to Tools and Supplies