CLEAR recommendations needed

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:47 pm
I'm getting ready to begin work on a really good friend's car and I want to attempt to save him a little bit of $$. Since I've been out of school I've never veered from DuPont and Nason products. But DuPont clear is getting outrageous. I've used their 7900s clear almost religiously and some of their snap dry clears occasionally simply because I like the outcome and they've just worked very well for me. With the price of 7900s nearing $400 per gallon, I think it's time for me to explore other clears. This job will take place in my garage so it will be air dryed. Garage has very good ventilation and is a very clean enviroment, if all that will help in recommendations. It's been a while since I read the tech sheet on the 7900s but I think it clasifies as a high solids clear so I'm interested in hearing about products with mid to high solids since I want there to be enough material for a good cut and buff afterwards.

This one seems interesting.

http://www.autobody101.com/store/paint- ... -full-kit/

Any help will be highly appreciated.
--carlos

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:39 pm
Ive been using "Wanda" (Made by Akzo Nobel) clear at the house and at the trucking company I work at. I like the way it sprays, it is easy to buff, and Its pretty fast too.. Buy a quart and give it a try. It is a high solids clear. I think you will like it.

Some of the guys on here like a clear made by **********,,,but I know nothing about it.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:49 pm
I guess besides the "wanda" nothing comes close to the 7900s?
--carlos

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:58 pm
You should give **********'s Universal Clear a go. Pricing is good and shipping was free to my door. It arrived in two days, too. Lays down nice with just about any gun including air brushes, mini-guns, and even turbine systems. Builds fast, easy cut and buff. Something else I like about it is that it remains very repairable and buffable even well past a couple of years.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:47 am
The Universal Clear seems very well suited and the website is somewhat informative. One thing the site lacks is information on how well it's clears stand up to time. Keep in mind, this clear will be going on a very dear friend's car, and I would hate for it to lose gloss or fail in any way a few years after completion.
--carlos

Return to Tools and Supplies