Which Tekna?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:45 pm
Hi I'm looking to buy a gun for base/clear. Heard good things about these but on the tekna there is the prolite, pro, copper, quick clean. I found these locally and the price range there all within 50$ of each other. Which would you recommend out of these guns? I've done alot of reading but cant make up my mind.

EDIT: went with ProLite
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:40 am
BB6 -
The Tekna Pro and ProLite are the newest top-of-the-line guns from DeVilbiss. They are basically the same gun (needle, tip, aircap) but the Pro is a larger gun than the ProLite, basically made for those painters with larger hands. I have a ProLite with the TE20 and a 1.3 and 1.4 that I do most of my spraying with right now. I love this gun, and it fits me well. I'm spraying mostly PPG Envirobase, with some BASF and DuPont (Axalta?!) thrown in every once in a while.
The Tekna Copper, Chrome (the original Tekna), QuickClean, and some of the private-labeled models (Painters Supply, etc.) are all the same gun, with some minor differences in the anodized or chrome coatings. Of those, I have and use a copper Tekna that I like with a 7E7 cap and 1.3 needle that was my gun of choice until the ProLite.
The Plus gun is a good gun, but isn't the newest technology. It's a slightly more forgiving gun for the beginner, but still has pretty good atomization qualities!
My recommendation is that they are all good guns and will serve you well. However, picking one depends on how much you are going to use this gun ... if you are using it every day in a production type environment or someplace where you need the best atomization quality available, then go for the Pro or ProLite. The Tekna copper and QuickClean are good buys if you can find them on sale ... lots of bang for your buck there!
My $0.02 worth. Hope it helps!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:40 pm
1MechEng wrote:BB6 -
The Tekna Pro and ProLite are the newest top-of-the-line guns from DeVilbiss. They are basically the same gun (needle, tip, aircap) but the Pro is a larger gun than the ProLite, basically made for those painters with larger hands. I have a ProLite with the TE20 and a 1.3 and 1.4 that I do most of my spraying with right now. I love this gun, and it fits me well. I'm spraying mostly PPG Envirobase, with some BASF and DuPont (Axalta?!) thrown in every once in a while.
The Tekna Copper, Chrome (the original Tekna), QuickClean, and some of the private-labeled models (Painters Supply, etc.) are all the same gun, with some minor differences in the anodized or chrome coatings. Of those, I have and use a copper Tekna that I like with a 7E7 cap and 1.3 needle that was my gun of choice until the ProLite.
The Plus gun is a good gun, but isn't the newest technology. It's a slightly more forgiving gun for the beginner, but still has pretty good atomization qualities!
My recommendation is that they are all good guns and will serve you well. However, picking one depends on how much you are going to use this gun ... if you are using it every day in a production type environment or someplace where you need the best atomization quality available, then go for the Pro or ProLite. The Tekna copper and QuickClean are good buys if you can find them on sale ... lots of bang for your buck there!
My $0.02 worth. Hope it helps!

Okay thank you very much, I went and ahead and bought the ProLite might as well get the best one right :) anyways it came with 1.3, 1.4, te20, hvlp cap. Now I read somewhere that the 7e7 is the best cap and I heard it fits the ProLite. And I also read that the te20 cap is about the same as the 7e7(cant find the thread anymore) So what cap you recommend, and does the te20 spray about the same as the 7e7? What else do you like about the ProLite vs the copper? thanks

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:41 pm
The TE20 and 7E7 are virtually identical compliant (not HVLP) air caps. I don't think they're interchangeable, but the atomization and pressures to spray at are incredibly similar.

I like the ProLite for several reasons over the copper Tekna:
1.) Slightly better fit for my smaller hand size.
2.) Easier clean-up due to the quick clean coating.
3.) Slightly larger knobs for fan and trigger control on the back of the gun.

Don't get me wrong - the copper Tekna is still a very good gun, but the refinement of the ProLite makes it just a little better.

Return to Tools and Supplies