Help me set up Devillbis gun

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:09 am
Hello,
Brand newbie here.......never done any gun painting before, so I am asking for help to set up my Devillbiss Starting Line gun please.

Project; Suzuki Samurai
Paint; Imron® 3.5 HG™ + Polyurethane Topcoat (RH Quality) http://dpcecatalog.dupont.com/dcat/us/e ... ality.html

Primer; Proform High Solids Epoxy Primer 495-1
http://www.proformproducts.com/en/produ ... category=8
Spray gun; ECONOMY STARTING LINE GUN KIT 1 FULL, 1 MINI DEVILBISS
http://www.tcpglobal.com/itemdetail3.aspx?itemno=DEV 802342

My questions;
What air pressure should I have going to the primer and finishing gun? The instructions say " maximum 30 psi". Now, I have read some other post about similar entry level Devilbis guns that suggest 20-23psi. Just because the max is 30psi, does not necessarily mean that it is the optimum pressure? What pressure should I begin with and why?

What settings should I have the fan adjustment knob and fluid flow knob set to? The instructions say all of the way out.......but again, I can't see that being the optimum settings. Where should I begin with these settings?

Lastly, the guy at the auto body supply where I bought the Imron paint, knew which gun I have, and suggested I use the 1.8mm tip and needle valve, as opposed to the 1.3mm. He didn't say why, just that that was his recommendation. Maybe the Imron is a thicker paint? Dunno. He also said it is one coat coverage with the 1.8mm tip. He knows I'm a brand newbie.

I'll be painting the upper and interior sides, along with the inside of the engine bay with the Imron 3.5, then the entire exterior will be painted with tinted Raptor bed liner. Imron 3.5 will be painted over the Raptor bedliner on the exterior. The inside floor pan will have tinted Raptor, but no top coat of Imron 3.5.

Thanks for the help with gun set up.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:58 am
I would try a 1.5mm at 28-30 psi, and go from there. Maybe lay down a quick pass on a piece of cardboard to see how well the atomization and coverage is.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:17 pm
I am not a Pro and have the same gun. I just sprayed Matrix base coat with the paint gun and 1.3 tip. Flow was turned out 2.5 turns and I set my fan the same way and then adjusted it to approximately a hand width. actually wider I have small hands. There is a Youtube video that tells you how to set the gun up and I have found it is a great starting point for a newbie. At least it has worked on my Eastwood economy set and worked on my Starting line set. Hope this helps. I am sure a more experienced painter will chime in.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:26 pm
I also forgot to mention check the tech sheets on the products you are spraying. They will tell you the recommended tip size and how many coats to spray. Also I had my gun set at 25psi.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:38 pm
Thanks for the replies.
I sprayed the epoxy primer the other night with the primer gun and the 1.8 tip. It went all right. Because it was getting dark and I was painting outside, I didn't have a lot of time to play with gun settings after figuring out the fittings for hoses, filters and desiccant snake.

I have a question about air pressure at the gun...........
Do I need to factor in the air pressure drop of a 25ft x 3/8ths hose when setting the pressure at the regulator? If so, how much?

My set up;
Compressor---------air / water separator--------25ft hose----------filter / regulator--------desiccant snake----------25ft hose----------filter / gun.

I had set the pressure to 30 psi, and as you can see, there is 25ft of hose with a filter before the gun.

Thanks.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:44 pm
Yes you do - but the best bet is to put a temporary gauge at the gun handle and measure the pressure directly, with the gun trigger pulled. Also if the water separator is too close to the compressor it won't be effective, the air has to cool a bit coming off the compressor so it condenses then you can 'catch' it.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:44 am
OK, thanks. The gun kit came with one of those little reguators........I'll temporarily install it at the gun to set the pressure as suggested.

Yes, the hose coming from the compressor to the water separator is only 8ft long. It should be 25ft. Due to space constraints, that was the best I could do when I first installed the compressor in my basement. It's on the list of stuff to re-do..........

Return to Tools and Supplies