LVLP vs HVLP

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:14 pm
OK,has anyone tested these new low volume low pressure spray guns? I had the astro model & a clone unit in front of me & took both apart.Pretty much the same except the astro had real packing infront of single o-rings where the clone had double o-rings & no packing.Not a big deal unless your like me & clean your guns with lacquer or acetone.Both guns had that cheep feeling to them.Has anyone shot some paint thru them.Theres one u-tube video that shows the clone being used & it looked good.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:26 pm
I like the way the clone shoots better than the astro. I put some used w400 nozzle and air cap in the astro and the needle from the astro worked fine as well, Huge improvement. Warwick 904H needle nozzle aircap sets work good in these guns too and the r500 clone gun now has the warwick parts.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:13 pm
sorry to resurect a really old thread, but what is the 500 clone gun? rexy2002 do you still recommend the warwick gun or the astro with the warwick cap and nozzle?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:25 pm
I think the answer to that question lies with your air compressor! I believe the HVLP requires 12CFM or more where as the LVLP is around 6CFM. Some of the older suction guns only requires 1.5CFM. You'd have to check the specifications on your compressor to see if it can handle the gun. My shop compressor is 10HP with a 120 gal tank (37CFM) and it has no problems with any air tools or for that matter, with several air tools running at once. The compressor on the service truck was only 6HP and put out 6.5 CFM so you were limited as to what you could use. Single stage or 2 stage makes a huge difference as well. I always bought 2 stage as I felt single stage was pretty much a useless piece of equipment unless you just wanted to pump up a car tire or something. I always had Devilbis guns but I'm told the newer ones with the exception of the "plus" gun have leak issues. I just purchased a Japanese Iwata to see how that works out. It is a LVLP gun with a 11" spray pattern requiring only 5-7 cfm.......far less than a comparable HVLP gun. This is only an opinion as I'm not an professional autobody guy however, I've painted my share of trucks, cars, and equipment over the years.

Return to Tools and Supplies