air compressor advice

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:56 pm
Ok I'm looking into buying me a big compre
ssor and want it to me the last awhile at least for awhile.
Here's some of what I been thinking
http://m.tractorsupply.com/en/store/ing ... sor-80-gal

http://m.harborfreight.com/catalogsearc ... compressor

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/magna-f ... 0000069122
Plan to use sign up for a credit card to get one so idk help me out guy's what would you do. I'm a broke 20 year old too

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:48 am
1038 -
I am assuming that you are going to use this compressor for painting, buffing, sanding, etc. For spraying paint, 15 scfm should work as long as you are using a gun with a compliant air cap (HVLP air caps will consume more - think 16-22 scfm).
Only the I-Rand unit looks like it's rated for continuous duty.

Some other considerations - are you gong to have any air cooling or filtration? Moisture, oil, and dust/dirt removal is very important for a good quality paint job. A clean environment (i.e. a booth with proper filtration and ventilation) is also highly recommended.

Finally, be very, very careful using credit cards to finance your purchases. The interest rates on them are really high (18% +), and you can get yourself into credit trouble pretty quickly. As much as you may not want to hear it, I might be tempted to wait to make a purchase like this until you have the cash available.

My $0.02 worth.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:01 am
So I been thinking maybe the hf cause it's a 2 stage compressor and Supposly a usa product

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:45 pm
I second the warning on the credit cards. I got into a lot of credit card debt while in college and it took me several years to get out of it.

As for the compressors, I don't think you will find much in HF that is made in the USA. They typically have low price, low quality stuff that is made in China. Don't get me wrong, I have some HF stuff. Some of it was never any good and some items that I just use occasionally have held up ok. But if you plan to use your compressor a lot, I would recommend the IR unit. They have building quality stuff for a long time but I realize that are expensive.

Another option is to get a couple of $400, 60 gal compressors and connect them in parallel. You will end up with more cdm capacity for about the same price. Just a thought.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:47 pm
What did you end up buying if anything.

In the market for a new compressor and am looking at the same ones you posted. Leaning towards the IR which I can get for $999.
Mike

Don't Listen To Me I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:20 pm
Apexx, not sure what the IR specs are, but I got this one and from my research it was the best bang for the buck (note: I caught it on sale for $925 in May). This unit had higher cfm flow than some that cost 2x as much. Just another option to consider.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Maxair-60-Ga ... /203175522
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:40 pm
That's a single stage.

I've had a 60 gal single stage for 20 years and can't complain but it's time for a new one and I want to bump up to a two stage and 80 gal.
Mike

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:48 am
my compressor is a rebranded Ingersoll rand 3 cyl unit, 3hp, think from memory it does 340l/p fad, and is 17cfm, altho it has a smallish 60lt tank but still has no porbs keeping up with my guns, sanders, die grinder and air hammers, its pretty quiet and slow revving, mine cost me $6xx around 8yrs ago, the ir branded 1s were double that in the tool stores (mine is a BOC brand but BOC buys the IR in bulk and repaint them, all the part numbers are the same as IR), I have never had a problem with mine, I service mine a few times a yr.
would recommend 1 to any1
krem

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:09 pm
Pulled the trigger on the IR, 80 gallon two stage.

All set up, shot a few pieces today, very nice indeed.
Mike

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:41 am
IR the way to go. I have a 7.5 hp 80 gal. IR comp.
and have no problems besides the drainage valve, change it,
It's sucks. I have a small body shop business, have two bodyman and
combo fabricator/ painter. No complaints about air shortage, we sandblast,
grind, plasma cutter,da's, and so on.
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies