Another spray gun qusetion ! what's best ?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:18 am
Hello all,
Sorry for beating a dead horse (I'm sure) but I've been racking my brains out :knockout: on what's a good starter/novice gun. I'm not about to pay $15 for a HF gun nor do I plan to pay $400 for a professional career gun as well. I need some advise from you guys/gals on what's the best BANG for the BUCK out there.

I'm currently restoring my 69 Camaro and I'm doing all my own metal work. I plan to shoot an epoxy primer and possibly a 2k primer as well as I go along, leaving the actual final painting to the pros. I have the compressor size (60 gal) with plenty of scfm so no issues will be there.

I'd like something that if needed I could change tip sizes and cup sizes

What about the Iwata AZ3HV2-18GC (1.8mm tip) or the Iwata AZ3HV2-13GC (1.3mm tip) ? my confusion on these are that they appear the same but with different tips sizes ... so can the tip sizes be changed on these models from a 1.3 to a 1.5 or 1.8 ? and if so then what would be the overall difference between the 2 guns ?

or should I be going toward something like the Startingline HVLP #802343 which has 2 guns with all 3 tip sizes as a kit ? But then why 2 guns .. Is there one gun that's interchangeable with tip and cup sizes that works great at a descent $$

Both from about $120-$150 or is there a better more applicable gun that I should think about?

Thanks for any input .... I'm all ears !

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:40 am
The two Iwatas are the same gun, but different tip sizes. Tips, needles and air caps are interchangeable. That model, though, is the HVLP version. The HTE, which is High Transfer Efficiency, also known as Reduced Pressure or "compliant" model would be a better choice, unless you are in an area where HVLP is mandated.

I wouldn't consider the StartingLine. Not worthy of the Devilbiss name, IMHO. However the FinishLine range are quite good, roughly equivalent to the Iwata you mentioned.

Most guns come in a range of setups but buying a different air cap, fluid tip and needle separately can be expensive. Sometimes you just need to hunt down the package deals where they're included.
Chris

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:13 am
I agree with Chris ... The StartingLine guns are DeVilbiss' answer to the cheap HF guns. They're not bad, but they're better suited to spraying primer and filler.
The FinishLine 4 gun is a sneaky good value. Atomization quality that starts to approach the Tekna line, at half the price. And it's waterborne compatible.
The Iwata Guns mentioned are also a good value, but most Iwata's require some overpressure to get them to atomize well. If you like a softer, lighter spray feel with a little more overspray, these guns are your choice. Lots of people like the way they lay clear down.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:01 pm
1MechEng wrote:I agree with Chris ... The StartingLine guns are DeVilbiss' answer to the cheap HF guns. They're not bad, but they're better suited to spraying primer and filler.
The FinishLine 4 gun is a sneaky good value. Atomization quality that starts to approach the Tekna line, at half the price. And it's waterborne compatible.
The Iwata Guns mentioned are also a good value, but most Iwata's require some overpressure to get them to atomize well. If you like a softer, lighter spray feel with a little more overspray, these guns are your choice. Lots of people like the way they lay clear down.
The FinishLine 4 that you all mentioned, would that be the FLG 4 that I'm seeing?

I also found a Devilbiss Finishline 4 HVLP gun kit with the 1.3, 1.5 and 1.8 tips, dekups (24 oz cups) and an Air valve regulator w/gauge.. would this also be the same gun you mentioned, the FLG 4 ? <---- I found this kit on ebay for $183 w/free shipping

or should I be looking more at the FLG-678 which is a primer gun only with 1.8 and 2.2 tips ?

Like I was saying.. I will not be using to spray paint, only epoxy primer and 2k for filler and blocking.

Thanks

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:18 pm
deez28 wrote:
1MechEng wrote:I agree with Chris ... The StartingLine guns are DeVilbiss' answer to the cheap HF guns. They're not bad, but they're better suited to spraying primer and filler.
The FinishLine 4 that you all mentioned, would that be the FLG 4 that I'm seeing?

I also found a Devilbiss Finishline 4 HVLP gun kit with the 1.3, 1.5 and 1.8 tips, dekups (24 oz cups) and an Air valve regulator w/gauge.. would this also be the same gun you mentioned, the FLG 4 ? <---- I found this kit on ebay for $183 w/free shipping

or should I be looking more at the FLG-678 which is a primer gun only with 1.8 and 2.2 tips ?

Like I was saying.. I will not be using to spray paint, only epoxy primer and 2k for filler and blocking.

Thanks

I was wondering the same thing about the DeVilbiss "kit" mentioned above.. seems like a good deal. Another question I have is WHERE can I find different tip sizes to purchase? Specifically for epoxy primer. Is 1.8 recommended, or would there be any problem using a 2.0? I saw a gun on ebay, no brand name or anything, extremely cheap at I think $38 with a 2.5 tip... what would this be used for? I want a dedicated epoxy primer gun, and then another gun for bc/cc. OR.. would it also be best to have a separate gun for base and another for clear? I am also by no means a professional, pretty new to all of this and am not wanting to spend a fortune, at the same time I dont want to get junk that makes things twice as hard and get discouraged by fault of bad equipment. As far as the harbor freight guns go, I have seen some real good reviews on those cheap guns. I would think one of those would be fine for epoxy primer with a decent size tip?? But where can you find such a tip? The guns are so cheap they are practically disposable. It all is a bit confusing as to what would be best for a new person. Almost think Im somehow making it too difficult.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:10 am
Any deal where they include additional sized tips/needles is a good deal. Bought separately, these things are expensive, sometimes as much as the gun itself. Most places that sell the guns can get parts, the exceptions being Ebay type sites. Talk to your local distributor.

Epoxies vary somewhat but they don't usually need a big tip. 1.5mm is usually about right. A 2.5mm tip would be normally used for a heavy mix of urethane primer/filler or spray bog. Pretty useless for things like basecoat that are much thinner.

I have dedicated clear coat guns, 3 of them, but there was a time when I didn't and just used the one gun. That works ok so long as you are fastidious about cleaning it. Something about 1.3-1.4mm would probably work for both base and clear. Once you start doing a bit more though, the differences start to become apparent. A good base coat gun isn't always a good clear coat gun and vice versa. The products are very different and have different techniques for application.

Buying guns is, I reckon, a bit like buying any other tool. A cheap socket might work well enough and then one day it will crack, split or round off a bolt head. These days I simply will not buy a spanner if it doesn't come with a lifetime warranty. Guns are the same. You just don't get quality for $38. No parts availabilty if something gets damaged or worn and how do you know that it won't fail halfway through a job? My living depends on my guns so cheap and nasties have no place in my gun cupboard. Every time I've bought one, even if just for a specific job, I've been disappointed and the gun has ended up in the bin. Just like throwing money away. I have Star guns that have lasted 15 years and are still going strong yet the most expensive of those was just over $200. I have Tekna and Iwata too, mainly for clear.

My recommendation is to buy a decent mid-range gun to start. When you reach the point where one of those is holding you back then look at the top shelf, but some of cheaper brand name guns are just as good as their more expensive brothers. FLG4 if you have to have HVLP, FLG5 if you don't. Equivalents like AZ3 from Iwata. Guns like this will last a lifetime of light use with reasonable care.
Chris

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:29 pm
Here is another option that SEEMS to come highly recommended by folks who have them. The post below is by Phil V and swayed me to buy one. Actually I bought 2 of them and for the record I haven't had the chance to try them yet but have a project coming up that will let me try both. Good luck / Coy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:48 am

I realize some purists are going to flame me for this but here goes anyway -- I have owned and used the Warwick 904H LVLP 1.4 spray gun for the last 5 years. I was told it was a copy of the Iwata LPH400 LV. In my personal opinion it is at least equal to any top of the line spray gun I have ever spray with. I bought my 904H LVLP from my local paint store for $120. I just checked online and found one place that sells them for $110. I bought a Devilbiss Tekna with the 7E7 air cap a couple years ago and sold it because I like the way the Warwick 904H sprays and atomizes better. I am good friends with the guys at the paint store (been dealing with them for the last 30 years) and they told me that those that bought the gun really liked it. So on their advice I bought one and have been VERY satisfied with the gun. I have spray painted several thousand cars in the last 40 years as a professional bodyman and painter (that several thousand cars is not a misprint or an exaggeration). So I am familiar with a lot of different spray guns and I am experienced enough to know what is a crappy spray gun and what is an excellent spray gun. The first car I painted with the Warwick 904 H was an Audi A6 Turbo in a medium green metallic BC/CC. It came out like glass and I was honestly astounded that a spray gun that cost a little over a hundred dollars was capable of performing at that level. I have sprayed many cars since with that gun and I have no intention of replacing it with another gun in the near future. I have a buddy who is a well experienced painter and he really likes my Warwick spray gun (in fact he has it right now spraying an older Formula Firebird.

There is an old saying " you get what you pay for" and in a lot of cases that is true - but - not always. Sometimes you pay a LOTmore than what you're getting (Sata - case in point). and sometimes you get a LOT more than what you're paying for. I'm not going to get into some protracted debate about sata spray guns (they generally unimpress me). And I'm not going to say the Warwick is better than an $800 Sata 4000 digitial. What I am saying is that the Warwick 904H has far exceeded my expectations, it is capable of top of the line performance and is all the spray gun I need or want. Maybe its just that gun and my spraying technique are very well matched but it has been an excellent gun for me. Parts are easily available online or at my local paint store (I have never needed a part - but they are readily available if I never need a part). Like I said I have been using it for the last 5 years and nothing has worn out or broken. Based on my professional experience I can highly recommend this spray gun.

One last point - Traditionally HVLP and LVLP guns are "slow" guns to spray with. To me the Warwick 904 is not a slow gun, I would put it in more of the medium speed category. Being a professional painter I don't like slow spray guns and the Warwick suits me fine.

Return to Tools and Supplies