harbor freight gun and compressor

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:46 pm
I was hoping you guys can help me out. Im gonna be painting parts of my car one at a time. Doors, fenders, hood, etc.
Now I don't wanna spend alot because I'll only be using the things I buy a few times. Im looking at harbor freight and they have a gun for cheap about 30 bucks. And compressor for cheap too.
Are these guns ok for use of a few times? Can someone tell me what im gonna need?
like I said its gonna be a few parts spread out within a few months. My car is a 02 maxima. Its gonna be primer, base, pearl, clear.

Do I need separate guns for each?

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:37 am
At harbor, I wouldn't mess with the purple guns other than for priming if it's a must. Instead, their 2 piece spray gun kit that comes with 1.4 and 1.8 for the normal size hvlp gun and the 1.0 for the mini gun is a better try. They look just like the devilbiss startingline kit, and I always wondered if the devilbiss parts would fit in them as well. Seems like it is possible. Or there is a newer chromed out gun with gold accents on it with a 1.4 tip that seems like it's good. Plus you can use the 20% or 25% off coupons with them. Return policy is also great at the store. If something is wrong or doesn't work right, I take it back within the 30 days and never had a problem. And I would get separate guns, at least 3, for primer, base, clear.

For an air compressor, at least get the 21 gallon, 26 or 29. Those say about 6 cfm at 40 psi. But I really think that might not cut it with some of these guns and you might have to look into the LVLP ones. I have a 60 gallon from harbor freight and I haven't had a problem with it for painting.

Return to Tools and Supplies