Fuji T series gravity feed spray gun advice

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:16 am
I updated my turbine spray gun to a fuji T series gravity feed spray gun and I am having problems getting good results with automotive paint. I am wondering if anyone else has used these and can give me so advice on there setup they used.
Before this gun I was using the generic type gravity gun that is used in the fuji Hobby-PRO 2 setup as well as other brands. For this gun I was using 1.8 for primer, 1.3 ( because I didn't have a 1.5) for the top coat (2k) plus about 10 percent more reducer then recommended on the paint tin. I was getting better results with this gun then I am with the t series one. With the t series one I am running the same kind of setup but I am suffering more from "orange peel" finish. I have increased and decreased the amount of reducer, changed tip sizes (1.3 and 1.0 don't have a 1.5) and mucked around with the spray pattern.

The operator is at fault but just not sure where it might be or what next to do. Each time I think I have the setup correct and my test sprays look ok I try it out on a guard and just not happy with the end results. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:22 am
First question needs to be, how many turbine stages do you have in your current set-up? When I first saw this T series gun a year or so ago I thought it looked rather "restrictive" in its' overall size and interior design, however that does follow theory with the fact that we are now seeing a shift to 4+ stages in these systems. In other words more "pressure" is being introduced up to the 10 p.s.i. cap max rating. My thought was, this gun probably needs a 4 stage turbine to get "optimal" results. Older guns based on the early SICMO designs could spray even with just 1 to 2 stage turbines with decent results. On the personal side, I don't know of anybody locally here that is using that new T gun.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:16 pm
That's a bit of my concern, not enough power but they also sell these guns with there 3 stage systems. I am using a 3 stage sprayfine turbine (240 volt version) and keeping hose length to a minimum, which if I remember correctly there spec for this turbine is a lot better then most 3 stage systems. I would have purchase there gun as well if I didn't already have this one.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:12 pm
Well, the only thing I can add to this is another factor that is almost never addressed by most of these turbine systems people.... the turbine motors are also DIFFERENT diameters. Back 30+ years ago average motor/turbine housing diameter was 4.5 to 5 inches. Then 5.6 became more of standard. Now 7.6 is common and I recently saw a couple of 9 inch units. With larger diameters come more power and pressure. Stages aren't the only way to rate total CFM and pressure anymore. Their 3 stage that comes standard with that gun could be a larger output putting out more pressure.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:21 pm
That makes things even more interesting...

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:54 am
How badly do whip hoses effect the air flow. Not because of the extra length but due to extra joins that could disrupt the airflow. One thing I haven't tried with this gun is to remove the whip hose and see if there is any difference.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:49 pm
Whip hoses can provide somewhat of a constriction in total CFM flow although there shouldn't be much of a pressure drop. Since these systems are all about volume of air moved it is possible that you could experience some problems especially with that particular gun. Remove it and see........

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:49 pm
Removed the whip hose and results improved.

Return to Tools and Supplies