Basic Tools for Minor Rust Repairs

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:28 pm
I have an aging Bimmer ---- with rust popping up here & there. I'd like to repair the blemishes properly. I am thinking a small kit that will allow me to sandblast and spray.

Any suggestions on low cost gear?

:D

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:20 am
Often rust that is bubbling through means that the backside of the panel is compromised - meaning it will need to be cut out and replaced. If doing rust repairs on a car is the goal, unless it is very superficial surface rust (which can be ground/sanded out), you are generally looking at a mig welder as the primary tool you'll be using.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:22 am
chris wrote:Often rust that is bubbling through means that the backside of the panel is compromised - meaning it will need to be cut out and replaced. If doing rust repairs on a car is the goal, unless it is very superficial surface rust (which can be ground/sanded out), you are generally looking at a mig welder as the primary tool you'll be using.

Thanks Chris. I assumed that (re cutting out the metal). What about low cost sandblasting kits? And I'd like to be able to spray properly.

Return to Tools and Supplies