Newbie bought a couple of used Spray Guns - Few Questions...

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:25 pm
Hi All - first post for me. A little background: I used to fool around with some bodywork and paint when I was a kid 25-30 yrs ago. Never a great painter, but I could do a decent job for a punk hot rodder. Recent stuff has been more mechanical and machining. I don't know if I'll ever try to paint a car again, but I'd like to be able to spray things like lathes, tool chests, etc. Setting up a new shop and been looking for decent used HVLP gun(s).

So, I stopped at a garage sale yesterday and picked up a Devilbiss FinishLine FLG3 for $10 and a Devilbiss GTI for $35. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seemed like a heck of a deal. They appear to be in decent shape, but I was hoping y'all could give me some guidance.

- What should I look for as far as wear and tear? Should I just get rebuild kits?
- I have a 60 gallon IR 2 cylinder compressor (single-stage) 11.3CFM@90PSI - will it be enough?
- The DeKups system sure looks sweet - any reason not to do that?

Any other advice welcome.

Thanks,
Wally

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:19 pm
Compressor is going to be marginal with those guns, especially the FLG3. Try it and see how it goes, it can't hurt to give it a shot.

I would not buy any rebuild kits yet, just clean the guns up good and see how they perform. If you need parts the good thing is they are DeVilbiss guns and parts are easy to get.

Return to Tools and Supplies