Harbor Freight 68843 "Pro HVLP" gun

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:04 am
I just re cleared the headlights on my Wife's car using Harbor Freight's newer gun.

The build quality feels quite good. It seems to be all metal. The controls are responsive and intuitive, and I'd say it sprays quite good.

The thing I don't like so far is the tool to remove the 1.4 tip is stamped sheet metal. While it does remove the tip, I often misplace these things and would prefer a standard hex nut.

The finish straight off the gun really impressed me. I took a quick video and put it on youtube. I used ********** Production clear.

If youtube is not allowed please forgive me.

http://youtu.be/BBpp05853cA

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:07 am
What is the CFM rating of your compressor? Reason I ask is because that gun requires 12-15 CFM @ 40 PSI according to owners manual. I have read a lot of good things about that gun and I have one in my garage new in the box but afraid to use it cause my compressor is 11.8 CFM @ 40 which is iffy for that gun.

I went ahead and bought a DevilBiss Plus gun because of its lower CFM requirements. But I'll hold onto HF gun cause eventually I will upgrade compressor.....

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:56 pm
I'm not sure of my compressor. I think it's a Frankenstein. I remember somewhere that you could test the CFM of a compressor by the flow of air through a given diameter hole, and reading the sustained pressure. Not an exact measurement but a ballpark figure type of thing. I'll try to dig up that article and run the test.

I was just doing the headlights so I didn't put very much demand on the compressor. I have a plus gun and Tekna and I'll compare them with the trigger open and see how each one consumes air. I always take any CFM rating with a grain of salt. I like to see the real world results.

-Vetsen

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:24 pm
I think this gun performs similar to the purple gun with gold knobs, but with fancy designs and a higher price point.

Return to Tools and Supplies