At wits end with water in air.

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Sanborn 60 gallon 15cfm @90PSI

I live in Connecticut.

I haven't removed the coil yet, but I am getting the same amount of water with it as I was before I put it in.

So I made a few diagrams, pardon my paint skills to show what I have now and what I can change it to

Current setup
current setup.jpg

Setup 1 cheapest to change to, possibly not effective?
setup 1.jpg

Second setup more expensive, I need more material, possibly more effective.
setup 2.jpg

Also the legs that go down to a drain, do they need to be 3/4 inch too to can I shrink them to 1/2 inch?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:55 pm
I'm not seeing a huge problem with the current setup. Maybe the filters are ineffective. Can you post the exact models separator and filter you are using? Maybe they are undersized...

I have a Parker cyclone separator followed by a speedaire regulator then a devilbiss camair dessicant filter...no problem at all with water.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:36 pm
I have this
http://www.lowes.com/pd_221014-47120-SG ... facetInfo=

flowing into this
http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-2 ... Astro+2618

having the kobalt before the astro wouldn't hamper the astro's performance would it?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:07 am
You want the cyclone separator (the kobalt) before the final filter. That astro really isn't built to trap water, it's more of a particle filter, so I'm not surprised that water is getting past it. I would not count on it for removing anything more than superficial water vapor. I think the kobalt separator is being overwhelmed.

Some ideas:

Add another unit like the kobalt, right next to the one you already have.
Slope the lines back toward the compressor.
Put the separator(s) at a point lower than the final filter.
Like mecheng said, and like I have...put a desiccant filter after your astro filter.
Add another run of copper parallel to the horizontal run you have, almost double the length of the run.

I wish I had the exact solution for you. It's going to take some tweaking but you should be able to solve this.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:29 am
I may be returning the Astro and picking up two 1/2 inch water traps into a 3/8th water trap/ desiccant totaling 4 filters would that be overkill?

Or should I run a 1/2 inch water trap (like the kobalt just bigger), into the Astro, then into a water trap/ desiccant?

I don't mind keeping the Astro as it was not too expensive, but not if its not doing me any good.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:34 am
I don't have efficiency specs on the various sized separators, but as reference mine is 3/4"...and all my copper is 3/4".

Going larger or doubling up can't hurt.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:32 am
I am going to make some adjustments tomorrow and post the results.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:08 pm
[quote="CaBoy Coy"]Maybe I missed it but I didn't see if you have any drain valves at your low points to rid the system of accumulated water.[/quote

]You didn't miss anything is that my problem?

Well you won't get dry air by running it through a system that has water backed up in every low spot. Your tank has a drain and low spots in your air system should be drained too or you're just bubbling your air through standing water.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:59 pm
I'm going to rotate the hose so its draining back into the tank and not creating a low point, reverse the angle of the pipe to slope it back towards the tank, then add a 90 degree down and back with a slope towards the filter like a zig zag.

BUT

At the end of that slope I am going to continue into a smaller 1/2 inch pipe angled down at the ground with a drain at the end and before the "leg" I am going to T off the 3/4 pipe with it facing up so the air has to exit the top part of the pipe to go to the filters almost like a hang man noose, or upside down T. So the air will be diverted up ward and the water will continue downward to the drain leg.

This gives me no low point that can't be drained or that is draining into the air filter, gives me another 10 feet of copper totaling around 35 feet and it will cost me less than $20 in additional supplies.

I'm also going to replace the 3/8th Kobalt filter with a 1/2 inch filter and then run it into the Astro filter followed by a another separator/desiccant filter, if I still get water in the line after, I give up on air compressors.

Ill take pictures when I am done to get your opinion on if its done right.

Also I know right now I am blow air through the hose, when I took the union off to solder in the copper coil the hydraulic hose actually emptied out water, I thought the air at 100PSI would blow out all the water, but I guess not.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:31 pm
Try the link below for a good picture of air piping by Sharpe. Modify to fit your needs. Also sent you a PM

http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.ns ... ing+Layout
PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Supplies