At wits end with water in air.

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 pm
Hey guys I am still suffering greatly from moisture in my air.

I have my air compressor running into about 60 feet of copper pipe, about 30 feet is in a coil near the ground, and then I have a 7 foot riser to the ceiling with a 20 foot run slightly sloping down towards the filter. At the end of the line I have the pipe going into a primary Kobalt water/oil separator and then I have the air going into a Astro Pneumatic 2618 filter.

Well today I connected a 25 foot hose to the Astro filter and also connect another cheap harbor freight separator to the other end and I am still getting droplets forming into the third filter which is at the end of 25 feet of hose, 2 filters, and 60 feet of copper. Every filter seems to be trapping water except the Astro, that is always the driest. I opened it up today and after 1 week of operation it had maybe a teaspoon of water in it. It has excellent reviews online but I am not happy with it.

So any other ideas what I can do to remove the water? I am thinking of a after-cooler between the pump and tank, but I have so much after the tank already and I still get water so it is very demoralizing.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:51 pm
Instead of exiting downward from the compressor, try exiting upward immediately. I have a feeling that coil of pipe on the ground immediately after the compressor is just acting as an extension of the tank, and becoming a water collection point. Can you get at least 20' of a straight run (say 7' up immediately after compressor, then another 10-12 feet straight/sloped) before you go to the coil and the filters?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:01 pm
Well originally I had the hose coming out and it went straight to a 7 foot rise then to a 20 foot run sloping down towards the filter and then I had a 5 foot drop into a elbow to the filters.

The hose does come out of the compressor downward in a U shape, I am going to try and rotate the outlet so the house is angles upward so any water drains back into the tank.

And are you saying the copper tubing coil is more effective at the end of the 20 foot run? Also should the pipe slope downwards towards the compressor or the filters?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:05 pm
Most configurations will have the exit out of the compressor go vertical then slope toward filters. My setup at home has everything sloped toward the compressor, out of necessity (the compressor is in a machinery room underneath the garage). I have very dry air, but I do have to be sure to drain the compressor tank, daily.

I think you are collecting water in that coil, that's why I say to move it closer to the end. Or put a separator right after it, to remove water before it is propelled to the rest of your lines.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:32 am
You think removing the coil and going back to a 6 foot riser, 20 foot length run, and then a 4 foot drop but allowing the hose to be sloping back into the tank and the 20 foot reverse the slop back towards the tank, then go with a after cooler between the pump and tank will be sufficient to cool the air down?

I will be cutting the pipe run to about 30 feet, but I will be cooling the air before it enters the tank.

Also what is the review on the Astro AP2618? anyone ever use one? The reviews online from amazon where I bought it are great, but for me it seems lacking, like the cheap HF and Kobalt separators are doing a better job.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:41 am
If you have a lot of moisture, you may need to add a small desiccant filter to your line.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:01 pm
Without counting the first pipe going up to the lateral runner and the final drop to the filters how much pipe should I have with how many drops?

My space is limited I have 1 25 foot to work with.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:41 pm
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see if you have any drain valves at your low points to rid the system of accumulated water.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:32 pm
You didn't miss anything is that my problem?

I set this up probably backwards, I have the compressor exiting downward into a hydraulic hose into a you shape and it goes straight up 6 feet to the ceiling, runs 20 feet sloping downward towards the filters ad the end of 20 feet there is a 4 foot drop with a elbow leading into a 1 foot connector to 2 filters

is my setup what is wrong?

I mean I can see the faults the bottom of the U of the hose will collect water and not drain back into the tank, and the end of the run will divert the water right into the filters, it doesn't extend farther down into a leg with a valve.

If I correct my "wall" with the proper legs, will that be plenty to call down the air before it reaches the filters?

I was under the impression that as long as the air cools down the filters will capture all the water so it didn't matter where it accumulated as long as it was cool, guess I was wrong.

Another thing that gets to me is the Astro filter I have was $80 and it seems to be letting a lot of water through still, water that my cheap HF filter is picking up, more efficiently. Does it not matter how expensive the filter is, if there is still a lot of water in the line, water will get through?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:35 pm
What are the specs on your compressor? Is it running constantly when you are painting or using tools? Also, you don't live in the bayou of Louisiana do you?

There are some factors that might be tough to overcome without going to an active cooling system. It's hard to find a lot of fault with your last description - sounds like you removed the coil? At this point I'm wondering if the compressor is undersized.
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies