What body filler do you use and why?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:19 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I use the Marson Platinum (not the plus) and find it very easy to use and sand. Mostly the same reasons NFT5 gives for the UPOL.
Haven't tried UPOL yet but might give it a go next time.

Ultra blows Marson out of the water for ease of sanding. When you do this for a living, all reductions in labor are worth it.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:12 pm
I will give it a try. Anything that makes the job easier without compromising the finished product - count me in.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:10 am
Methodical wrote:I just found out that the local paint supply place sells UPOL flyweight gold. Is this the UPOL you use?

No, I'm using UPOL Fantasic.

ScottB wrote:NFT5 says he did not like Rage by failed to say which one. Problably Gold which I never liked.

Yes, I believe it was. We don't get the full range that is available to you.

ScottB wrote:When you do this for a living, all reductions in labor are worth it.

Never has a truer word been spoken.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:26 am
ScottB wrote:...When you do this for a living, all reductions in labor are worth it.

This goes even if you don't do it for a living. We rookies don't want anymore work than necessary. I'm set on the Ultra.

Thanks
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:22 am
I realize this thread is old but just wanted to comment on filler. I am a licensed bodyman but have been out of the trade for roughly 15 years. I'm doing a full restoration and bought some Evercoat Light Weight, the supplier didn't have much of a selection so I took the Evercoat over the brand that I had never heard of before. I have spread a lot of different fillers during my time in the trade and have to say this was about the worst I've ever used next to the soft yellow crap called Chromalite from the early 80's. That's what you get for $7 a quart I guess. I spoke to the owner of a very large collision shop, he recommended Evercoat Z Grip. I couldn't get it here but did find Evercoat Rage Ultra...what a difference, mind you the price reflected it too but I was very happy with it. Spreads very nicely on vertical panels and the nicest sanding filler I have ever used. The fillers from yesteryear required the use of a cheese file before getting hard, not this stuff. I put a lot of new metal on my car(66 Mustang) so I'll only require a skim coat and this stuff is perfect.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:36 pm
Im a rookie and thanks to this website I too went with the Ultra and agree with your feelings, guess I missed the cheese grader method from years ago. :happy:

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:22 am
Back in the 80's when Marson White Lightning was on the market, this was a must or else you had to take the top off with a grinder :happy:
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies