What body filler do you use and why?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:49 am
I'm curious about which body filler you use and why. I don't want to use a body filler and have problems later on, so I know folks here have experience with many types of fillers and can provide some good recommendations. I'm about to order the Rage Ultra, but want to see what other good body fillers are out there.

Also, I had someone suggest that I use 3M Marson Platinum body filler. Has anyone here used this product? What's your thought?

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-mars ... 18628.aspx

Thanks...Al
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:02 pm
I've tried the Rage filler and thought it was horrible. We use UPOL Fantastic - smooth almost like a glaze but strong like a heavy duty lightweight filler and nice and easy to sand with minimal pinholing.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:43 am
NFT5 wrote:I've tried the Rage filler and thought it was horrible. We use UPOL Fantastic - smooth almost like a glaze but strong like a heavy duty lightweight filler and nice and easy to sand with minimal pinholing.

What was the issue with the Rage filler?

Thanks...Al
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:32 am
I found it gritty and difficult to sand, compared to the UPOL. Having said that though, apart from the cheap fillers with outdated technology, choice of filler can be a very personal thing.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:12 pm
NFT5 wrote:I found it gritty and difficult to sand, compared to the UPOL. Having said that though, apart from the cheap fillers with outdated technology, choice of filler can be a very personal thing.

I just found out that the local paint supply place sells UPOL flyweight gold. Is this the UPOL you use?

Thanks...Al

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:23 pm
What is wrong with 3M Bondo Gold ?

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:55 am
I used to use evercoat (black gold I think) and it was fantastic, tried this new stuff, cant remember the name of it but it seems to get a "skin" on it when it hardens and it clogs the paper up until you get the "skin" off it, even if you leave it for a day or so, it don't matter, still clogs up real bad, even with 36g, its a pain in the a**!!
when this tin is used up I will be going back to the evercoat, its a little bit more expensive (around $10 a tin more) but is well worth it!!
krem

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:36 am
Methodical wrote:I'm curious about which body filler you use and why. I'm about to order the Rage Ultra, but want to see what other good body fillers are out there.

Also, I had someone suggest that I use 3M Marson Platinum body filler. Has anyone here used this product? What's your thought?

Thanks...Al

I used Marson Platinum for years until I tried Rage Ultra. No need to use anything else. Ultra sands easily like joint compound and is virtually pinhole free. Every pro I know who switched from Marson to Ultra loves it.

NFT5 says he did not like Rage by failed to say which one. Problably Gold which I never liked. Marson is better than that.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:00 pm
Thanks everyone. I seem to find nothing but good comments about the Evercoat Rage Ultra and being a 1st timer, even though, it costs more, I want product that would make my life easier and have determined that I will get the Ultra. I won't need much, but maybe I'll be able to sell what I don't use.

Thanks...Al

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:38 pm
I use the Marson Platinum (not the plus) and find it very easy to use and sand. Mostly the same reasons NFT5 gives for the UPOL.
Haven't tried UPOL yet but might give it a go next time.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies