Are you supposed to lubricate the needle on a spray gun?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:12 am
My cheap tough up spray gun needle seems to be very tight.

When you push down on the trigger it will push the needle backwards. When you let go of the trigger, the trigger pops back up but the needle that it just pushed backwards just stays there.

This is the gun I have. http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... serManuals

So I wonder if it needs some lubricant on the needle where it goes into that nut. ?????

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:24 am
You can, yes - but there's a packing material under that nut which compresses around the needle when you tighten the nut. I bet you have the nut too tight; loosen it up a bit and see if that helps.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:45 am
guess your a fellow aussie if your buying from supercheap adam??
does it have a spring on the adjustment side of the needle or has it not been put in after cleaning??
i would also try what chris said, ive never had this sort of problem but it should be an easy fix
krem

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:37 am
Apart from backing off the packing nut and checking the spring, as mentioned above, make sure that the gun is thoroughly clean. Strip it completely and you may find that there's a slight build up on the needle as well as on the inside of the packing. I had the displeasure of having to clean one of those guns once (not mine, I wouldn't own one) and it had accumulations of paint all through it. Looks to me like the design doesn't really allow for smooth flow of paint through the gun, with little spots where the flow must slow and it builds up. When you put it back together give the needle, behind the packing a little lubrication. I use just a light smear of Vaseline - works a treat.
Chris

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:42 am
Thanks everyone will give it a good clean out in the next few days

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:28 am
Also I think the only place you would lubricate it would be the back end of it, like the trigger back, if you lubricate it where the nut already is behind the fluid cap, that oil could find its way into the paint.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:19 am
f575gtc wrote:Also I think the only place you would lubricate it would be the back end of it, like the trigger back, if you lubricate it where the nut already is behind the fluid cap, that oil could find its way into the paint.

I have some Devilbiss lube and it states that it's paint compatible (the oil lacks a couple ingredients that otherwise I think would cause issues when painting). I just rub a little along the needle and the other places the manual states to lube.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Return to Tools and Supplies