Dura-Block and finer grit PSA?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:45 am
What do you guys use for finer grits 500 have above on Durablocks? I just ordered the 7 block set and I see it is designed for PSA paper to stick on to it.

I have no issue finding 80-400 grit sand paper but 500 grit or even 600 grit which I like to use to sand the primer super smooth before the color coat, but I can not find rolls in 600 grit, I already have tons of discs, but I can't imagine a random orbital sander will be very forgiving on a primer coat and will burn right through it.

Now if I need to sand the color coat and I need 1000 grit or higher, I don't even know where to begin.

I have tons of sand paper without the sticky backing, can I spray some 3M light tack adhesive and use regular sandpaper on the blocks? I am assuming the blocks don't work well if the sand paper doesn't have a sticky backing.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:21 pm
At home, we just wrap a piece of 600 (or higher grit) around a small block and hold it in place while sanding - but this is strictly wet sanding.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:54 pm
Doesn't that create a crease if there is a little slack in it?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:16 pm
not sure what you mean, but no...never had a problem.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:47 pm
Until now I have been using the old fashioned rubber block with the metal pins that grab into the sand paper, if I don't stretch the paper out perfectly, as I slid back in forth it creates a little crease in the paper and sands unevenly.

Then again it could be my old technique, I watched a video last night which indicates I should be sanding in a X pattern.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:37 pm
yes - never sand back and forth in a straight line, even with no slack in the paper you will cut a groove into the panel.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:08 pm
Received the block kit today and actually used it to wet sand my fender, I don't know why I didn't order this sooner, makes things so much easier than the old rubber type blocks.

Plus that soap... it must be made of unicorns and gypsy tears because it cleans your hands extremely well and doesn't leave behind a drying filmy feeling like other soaps do.

Return to Tools and Supplies