turning lpg tank to air tank??

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:05 am
hey guys, just wondering If any1 her has turned a lpg cylinder into a air tank, I wanna boost my air time by having a big gas cylinder turned into a 2nd inline air tank.
can I have it standing upright or does it need to be laying down like on most compressors??
I want a bung underneath to drain water,
thanks for the help
krem

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:24 am
Krem, it's do-able but personally I wouldn't take any advice about how from anyone at a forum like this. Take the tank to a qualified vessel inspection/repair facility and tell them what you want to do. Whoever welds the bung in for the drain needs to be certified for that type of work, and it needs to be examined and tested for working and peak pressure.

Be safe.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:58 am
i have a friend that manufactures hydraulic cylinders, he can do the work but unsure what exactly needs doing, me being a bit simple, I have no idea, I have googled it but I haven't come across any1 that puts a drain plug in the bottom!!
krem

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:03 am
The LPG tanks should be OK pressure-wise. However ...
1.) Any conversion should be done by a qualified professional ... someone who is ASME weld certified for Pressure Vessels. Not just any welder will do in this case. I don't know if the welds need to be X-rayed or not ...
1b) I think you will need to have the converted tank tested and certified to a certain pressure. If not, you might have insurance issues (Not just obtaining a policy, but paying out on a claim if need be).
2.) You will have a ton of issues with the mercaptin smell ... I don't know that you'll ever fully purge that from your system.
3.) You will want to make sure that the tank has all of the appropriate measures like a water drain + valve, pressure relief valve, etc.
Personally, I would buy something designed specifically for the job, but that's my $0.02 worth.

Return to Tools and Supplies