Turbine HVLP recommendation?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:19 pm
Hey guys so i'm pretty new to spray painting, but I'm looking to purchase a turbine HVLP or a small Air compressor to use on painting my car, I will not be painting the entire car and will be painting one panel.

I was recommended this product:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Campbell-Hau ... 57&cj=true

But i've never used a HVLP that uses a turbine before, i've always had access to an air compressor until my recent move.
Can someone recommend me a decent HVLP that either runs on turbine or an air compressor that has 7.1 cfm? (hopefully around $300-$400)
Thanks!!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:16 pm
Even just doing panel spraying I think you would get a little frustrated with that underpowered CH 2 stage. It's a small 2 stage so you'll end up trying to adjust your materials a lot which can lead into solvent pop, poor flowout etc. In my opinion the best bang for the buck right now that will easily handle just about any coating (look at his chart to match up tip/nozzle with materials) is Sprayfines' 3 stage.... go here.......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Stage-HVLP-Tu ... ls&vxp=mtr

If that is out of your league check for used units on Craigslist. A lot of guys really don't understand how to use them so they put a few hours on them and sell them. If buying used look for names like Capspray, Titan, Apollo, Wagner, TP Tools, Turbanaire, American Turbine, etc. I've seen nice older 2 and 3 stage Capspray systems for $200 or so lately.

If you want to learn more about the systems put "turbine" in the search on this site. You should come up with 600+ posts.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:34 am
Ahh.... well the reason i wanted a low budget turbine HVLP was that i already have air compressor HVLP guns that i've been using and i can pick up a small air compressor for like $300. I didn't want to spend more than $400 on turbine HVLP if i can spend less than that and get an air compressor.

For the 3stage turbines, do they perform as well as an smaller air compressor? I don't need anything too crazy BUT i'd like to get at least an mirror finish when i'm done painting.

ALso, what else should i be looking for in a turbine HVLP besides # of stages? Thanks!!

P.S. I did search turbine as you recommended and read some of the posts but didn't find any info on what i should look for in terms of Turbine

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:53 pm
If you already have guns I'd be on the look out for a good used compressor. $300 is only going to buy a "rainmaker" of a new compressor if you do have to run it much more than single panels. When buying a 3 stage turbine stick with those name brands (which should also include Fuji) and you won't go wrong. There are, unfortunately, no standardized testing or spec.s on most turbine systems. The two stages are the most "troublemakers" of the units as I have seen these in various internal diameters which makes their performance hard to quanitfy unless you test spray them.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:20 am
ah ok that's good to know!
I ended up buying a smaller 33gallon electric compressor that's strong enough for my guns. So i guess i won't be needing an turbine! lol
thanks for the help though =P

Return to Tools and Supplies