IR SS5 60 Gallon Compressor Problem

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:17 pm
I have an IR SS5 5 HP, 60 Gallon Compressor that I received NEW about 3 years ago or so. It has been working like a champ for the past 3 years until a few months ago when it developed an overheating? problem with the electric motor that runs the compressor. I use the IR Synthetic Oil in the pump, and the continuous run cycle has not been a problem until now. I have used it for blasting, both in a cabinet and for sandblasting. I probably have only 200-300 hours on the unit.

Is there some type of way to find out why it is getting so hot? the thermostatic control covers (I assume that is what they are on the top of the motor) do get hot, but not so hot I can't touch them or hold my hand there. Do the thermostatic overload switch(es) need to be replaced?

Chinese motor?

any ideas? :rolleyes:
Home of Y Block Ministries
Milford, Ohio

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:09 pm
Rev, how do you know for sure the motor is overheating? Is it tripping the thermal overload?

If an electric motor is overheating it is usually one of a couple of issues. Overworked (too much load/resistance - or past its duty cycle, or bad bearings, etc.), or there's a power supply issue like low voltage.

If it is being overworked one thing to check is the pump. Make sure the pump isn't overfilled with oil. Make sure the pump turns freely.

I suggest you give I-R a call, they do have a great technical support team there and can probably walk you through some other things to check. (253) 398-3900

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:06 am
If you have had it in continuous duty mode I wouldn't be surprised that the motor is toast. IR tech. people are pretty good with the troubleshooting. As Chris said, give them a call. Wouldn't be surprised if the bearings aren't going on it. Newer compressors appear to be using motors that aren't a lot different than what I see on my home hot tub. We get about 3 to 6 years out of those.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:30 am
Thanks fellas... I knew the warranty on the electric motor was already up, but I was not aware that if the unit was no longer under warranty that the company would respond to any questions/problems an owner might have. I will have to give IR a call on that one then.

The electric motor is 5hp, and is an Emerson if that makes any difference - it does say continuous duty on the sticker. Elsewhere on the internet I have found "bad reviews" about the brand name/model but I am not so sure if that is just hearsay or what. The entire unit itself has given me trouble free service and has been pretty easy to maintain. The only things I have done to it so far is change the compressor oil, change the air filter, tighten the belt, etc. However, the symptom I have did not show up after any of these maintenance items. One day it just started to have a "thermal overload" problem and will now REFUSE to do continuous duty. Once the electric motor cools I press the red button to reset it and we are good to go as long as I don't overtax it. Spraying paint is no problem. The blasting of media certainly is.
Last edited by Hot Rod Reverend on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milford, Ohio

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:09 pm
Those Emerson motors are troublesome. Lost my first one in 6 months, second warranteed one lasted 4 months.

I have since replaced mine with a different brand.

The mouse ears on top of the motor are capacitors that fail regularily too! I had one blow up and spew oily goo all over the place.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:39 pm
I have the exact same compressor. The SS5 60 gallon. The reed valves went out after a couple years. IR tech support was indeed helpful in getting me the parts I needed. Otherwise it has run great as a compressor well-matched for a home shop. That being said, I won't run it continuous duty no matter what the motor is rated for. Sadly, tools nowadays aren't made to last. They're made to survive the warranty period. If I'm doing something demanding like blasting I just take frequent brakes so the motor doesn't have to work too hard.

Wish I could be more helpful finding your overheating problem. Good luck.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:36 am
I did an hour or two of glass beading in the cabinet last night with "0" issues.... go figure. But I would have to say the times that the thermal overload switches trip are when I am pressure pot sandblasting. I did set up a blower to blow air over the electric motor while I am doing serious work like blasting however.

I will call IR today.

thanks guys :allgood:
Milford, Ohio

Return to Tools and Supplies