PPE

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:18 pm
I have been researching for quite some time, and I am getting close to trying to paint for the first time.
I created a post in the paint forum, but I wanted to establish that I am just getting started.
I plan to paint in my garage. I will choose a calm day and paint with the door open and near the door but still in the garage for max air flow as possible.

I googled and looked on this forum a lot last weekend, but PPE seems to be hit and miss. So after spending a lot of time, I finally targeted 3M half face 6311 paint project respirator. It lis NIOSH approved and 95% filtration efficiency and approved for use with most organic vapors. I picked it up at one of the big box home improvement stores, and this was the best respirator for my project that they had on the shelf.

For those of you who are using respirators, did I pick a respirator that will protect me from paint fumes ?
I also purchased cover alls, and gloves. I still have yet to find a pair of goggles for my eyes, as the store didn't have anything beyond standard safety goggles, and I think I want something that will actually seal around my eyes.

Sorry this is so long, and hopefully this isn't the 10 millionth thread on this stuff, but I would rather be more safe than sorry, and I don't want to mess up my lungs or hurt myself painting the doors for a car worth less than the money I spent on the equipment/tools.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:05 pm
Yes, if you got this respirator:

http://3mcollision.com/3m-half-facepiec ... -case.html

Keep in mind that even 3M will tell you "sorry we can't tell you" if you call them and ask if that respirator is good enough for what you are doing. Everyone is so paranoid about liability that the answer is that the air quality has to be monitored with certified/calibrated equipment, even when using a respirator - or avoid all of that and use a supplied air system.

But what you have selected there with the 6001 organic cartridge is what almost all guys who use a 3M mask are using when painting cars.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:11 pm
I used the SAS Bandit half mask (PN 8661-93-inexpensive disposable mask) for my 1st time ever spraying (epoxy and 2k primer) just recently, but eventually purchased the 3m full face mask respirator. My concern with using goggles is that they make me sweat and I am concerned that sweat would find it's way onto the paint job. So, the full face mask takes care of that problem. You should be ok especially since you plan to spray in the open air. Hope you have cool neighbors or no neighbors, which would be better. There may be some legal issues with doing it that way, but I'll let others that do this day in and day out address that. SAS give guidance on the use of the mask with products containing Isocyanate in it's instructions - don't know if that constitutes a slam dunk stamp of approval though.

Bandit: http://www.sassafety.com/pdf/flyer_bandit.pdf - $16 from the local paint supply store.

3M: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JZ ... UTF8&psc=1
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Return to Tools and Supplies