Bought a Titan TS50 turbine low CFM??

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:16 pm
Hey guys i bought a Titan Ts50 4 stage turbine and after pulling the trigger i realised the spec sheet said that it only pushes out 82 CFM at 8 psi. Thats way lower than the Spray fine 3 stage motor 134 CFM at 6.5 psi. I feel like just buying the spray fine unit instead. i would be using the spray fine gun for automotive paint. is this good enough of a turbine. Titan seemed like a good brand but other 4 stage motors have 100 cfm and sometimes (rare) more. advice?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:44 pm
Okay, here is the problem in a nutshell..... no standardization. You don't really know how each company arrived at their figures... was the gun attached, not attached,.... was it tested with the rated pressure shown or a free air test with no pressure.... and on and on. Here is just my opinion of this... USUALLY if one turbine develops more p.s.i. than another it will also produce more c.f.m. than the lower pressure unit. C.f.m. and pressure will go up hand and hand as each successive turbine wheel is added to the stack in the housing. There are some exceptions to this as we are starting to see some newer "super turbines." Actually with turbine systems I think the higher pressure is the thing to look for when doing automotive work and the c.f.m. rating is less important. I don't think I have ever used or tested a 4 stage turbine that put out an "inadequate" amount of c.f.m. At least test and tinker with the Titan, I think you'll be fine.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:22 am
Thank you so much man, i felt like i had wasted money, but i see your point of view. Though for the spray fine unit, the 3 stage has more CFM than the 4 Stage, but like you said the higher pressure will push/atomize the paint some more.

What are your recommendations for reducing automotive paint on a 4 stage motor (a bit more heat: utherane, enamel etc?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:05 pm
Well, with 4 stage units warm air is great but hot air flow is too much and will literally "boil" out the normally slower drying tail solvents. Some of the turbines are using different materials for their turbine wheels which don't build as much heat. Bottom line.... you just have to experiment with each type of coating to arrive at good flow out and drying. I started working with turbines 34 years ago and our biggest problem was the then normal 2 to 4 p.s.i. output from a 1 or 2 stage at 40 to 50 cfm. Not bad for lower solids lacquers but, in my opinion at the time, a mess for higher solids enamels, urethanes, etc. The newer 3 and 4 stage units can lay down much better coatings with fewer reducer/thinner adjustments. If you want to keep heat up and cfm flow up keep your hose as short as you can reasonably get around the car. If you think the air flow is getting too hot use some ice freezer packs by the turbine air intake or you can put a coil of hose in an ice chest.
Again, turbine systems just require experimentation to achieve good results.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Tools and Supplies