Ultimate Compressed Air Dryer

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:59 am
Judging from the air set up, I expect the Tundra will turn out awesome! :clap:

Have you drawn up the plans for the full on downdraft paint booth yet?

:rockon:

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:29 pm
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:Judging from the air set up, I expect the Tundra will turn out awesome! :clap:

Have you drawn up the plans for the full on downdraft paint booth yet?

:rockon:

Not a downdraft, but an adequate cross-flow. I have 2800 cfm air removal total. One ventilator is a portable unit I built for my remodeling work. The other is permanently installed upstairs in my dedicated finishing room. The upstairs fan draws air in from downstairs through filters installed in the floor/ceiling. It and the window unit are across from the intakes. I threw those together in a couple of hours using scrap plywood. When I'm spraying, there's a nice breeze coming through. I'll make a visqueen paint booth and seal everything off with duct tape.

Any idea how many layers of paint booth filter I should use? They're the kind with some sticky stuff sprayed on them. Is one adequate, or should I use two or three?

This week I aim to prime and block sand the left side of the truck, and if time permits, the hood, roof, and tailgate. The big day is not far off, I hope. Archery season opened a week ago, but I need to knock this project out.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:30 am
I'd be a little leery with an unprotected (read: not an explosion-proof) light source that close to where the particulate may be filtered out. A small spark is all that is needed to lead to deflagration (explosion). Also, the light will get coated with overspray in no time ... potentially burning out the bulb/ballast early due to heat build up.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:36 pm
1MechEng wrote:I'd be a little leery with an unprotected (read: not an explosion-proof) light source that close to where the particulate may be filtered out. A small spark is all that is needed to lead to deflagration (explosion). Also, the light will get coated with overspray in no time ... potentially burning out the bulb/ballast early due to heat build up.

Explosion proof fans. Explosion proof lights. May as well open an auto body business. :knockout:

There is a theoretical potential for explosion if the concentration of fumes is high enough. The fans have brushless motors, and they clear out the overspray in short order. The visqueen booth will be an airtight barrier between the fumes and the lights. I'm not worried about it.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:31 am
Explosion proof fans. Explosion proof lights. May as well open an auto body business. :knockout:

Sadly, there's a reason body shops have these regulations imposed by OSHA and NFPA. Even seen a shop after a paint booth caught fire? It's not good. :(
I'd hate to see anyone get hurt or killed based on advice they received on this board. As long as you know the risks and the dangers, the ultimate choice is yours.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:31 pm
1MechEng wrote:

Sadly, there's a reason body shops have these regulations imposed by OSHA and NFPA. Even seen a shop after a paint booth caught fire? It's not good. :(
I'd hate to see anyone get hurt or killed based on advice they received on this board. As long as you know the risks and the dangers, the ultimate choice is yours.

I can't find the "rolling my eyes" emoticon. Wait, here it is. :rolleyes:

You're pedantic and condescending. :clap:
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies