Will my compressor run new paint guns ?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:55 am
I have a Coleman Black Max 6HP , 60 gallon tank. It is single stage and papers say it has 13 cfm at 40lbs pressure. I have no idea what the cfm would be at the lower pressure settings that some of the newer type guns say to use. I have used a Binks model 7 to paint cars for years with this compressor. It does run hard at times but it has always done the job. I only paint for friends or my own cars so I don't want to buy another compressor. The Binks does a great job but I want to get away from all the over spray in my garage or at least have less overspray when I do paint. Just don't want to buy a new gun and find out it wont work properly. Thanks for any advice you guys may give me.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:26 am
Hey HD=DYNA -
It depends on the fluid and air nozzles in the spray gun, the material you are spraying, and the duty rating of the compressor (which I couldn't find quickly on Google).
The spray gun you currently have could run anywhere from 11.5 scfm to 15+ scfm depending on your choices above. What pressure do you normally use at the gun (50 psi?) when you are painting?
Just guessing (with some assumptions), but it looks like that combo might be a good enough setup to do a panel or two at a time, but probably not a whole car.
Upgrading to a DeVilbiss Plus w/9000 or Tekna w/7E7 would work better with that compressor, assuming standard automotive paint is being used. (They consume 9-12 scfm per the DeVilbiss literature).

Hope this helps!
1ME

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:11 pm
Thanks you for the advice on guns that would work with this compressor. Yes , I usually ran the pressure up at the tank to 45 to 50 lbs pressure using a 50 foot hose. My guess is I was shooting at about 40 lbs at the gun. I never used gage at the gun, just went by the feel and spray pattern I was getting. I will look at the models you suggested , wont be painting a lot but would like to get a gun that I can get by with. Thanks

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:22 am
You should set your compressor pressure up to 120 psi and be sure to use a regulator/water trap just before your hose connection and set the regulator at 90 - 100 psi.
The pressure will drop some just going through the hose so its a good idea to have a gauge at the gun for setting pressure with the trigger pulled full open. Setting it by the regulator will not be very accurate and using the AC tank regulator to control the spray gun is a big NO-NO!

13 CFM at 40 psi will run most HVLP and LVLP guns but you need to check the individual gun's air requirements.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:13 pm
This gun may fit the bill for you. I have one and like it very much. I'm running a 60 gallon with only 3.7hp... seems to do just fine fine for me. It's an Iwata copy gun. I have the 1.4 tip and it does great for epoxy, base, clear and single stage paint. Not alot of overspray either
Costs around $130

http://warwick-sprayguns.com/904.htm

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:26 pm
video on the gun...

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:50 pm
I bought a 904 HE/LE but haven't had a chance to use it yet but they do come with very good reviews. I also bought a Warwick 878 SHE mini gun with a 1.3 tip and did recently have a chance to use it. I banged up the rear fender flare, fiberglass, on our motorhome. It covers both the drive axle as well as the tag axle so it's probably about 9 feet long top to bottom and across both axles and averages about 5 inches wide. Has 3 colors on it and figured a perfect project to use the 878 SHE gun on. It performed really well and laid the 3 base colors down flawlessly. I did use my DeVilbiss plus gun I bought from Chris here on the site to shoot the clear as it does CC like glass.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:40 pm
That's what I found with my gun, it laid base out beautifully and clear not as well, but most likely its just me learning to use it. I have found with single stage it does best with around 30 psi and spraying very close to the panel (like 4 inches)

Return to Tools and Supplies