Looking for the best spray gun fora thicker liquid

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:42 pm
I am hoping to capitalize on the forum experience although not specifically for paint. I am looking to purchase a spray gun to spray fluid film on my vehicles. Its a rust prevention product I have used for a few years with excellent results on my plow trucks which sit all summer. I currently have just a cheap spray gun, that doesn't work well obviously , so I would like to invest in a good one as I like t spray all of the vehicle twice a year. So here goes, fluid film is a thicker sheep oil product. With the current gun the fluid has to be very hot (I heat it in water on the stove and then hurry out with it) in order to spray, and it needs to cut with another product to thin it. I would prefer to use the product alone with no cutting agent. So I am looking for gun recommendations that are capable of spraying a thicker liquid, does not have to be an even coat, and is there such a gun that is slightly heated? Or maintains a temperature? Also any helpful advice as to compressor settings etc. that may help would be greatly appreciated!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:53 pm
Okay, I've sprayed various industrial liquids over the years through heated guns, pots, etc. First, try to figure out what you've got to thin to with your heat. Easy way to test is to slowly bring a small pot of the stuff up in temp. testing it with a simple paint stir stick... When you can dip the stir stick in, quickly pull it up and the steady stream of liquid goes to droplets in about 5 to 8 seconds you should be able to spray that through a 1.8 to 2.2 tipped conventional spray gun. Check that temperature. If you are under say.... 150 degrees F. or so you could buy a cheap 2 & 1/2 gallon spray pressure pot and put a silicone band heater with temp. adjustment around the pot. This would allow you to have a pressure gun set-up with maybe 15 to 20 feet of hose to get around your vehicles. The pot could even go on a small wheeled base if needed. Harbor Freight sells cheap pot systems like that and I think even ebay should list some silicone band heaters. If you don't need a ton of heat consider even a simple drug store heating pad around or under the pot.
Back in the early days of wood lacquers in manufacturing they used both heated storage barrels and had "heated heads" on the guns so they could shoot higher solids without thinning.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:14 am
Thanks Darrel!
That sounds like an excellent idea for much less than what I anticipated spending. I frequently have to spray them in less than ideal temperatures so keeping the liquid warm is a constant battle. I will try the temperature test and post results.

Thanks again!

Kit

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:35 am
Yeah, most of this is just common sense... Bottom line.... don't blow yourself up but still try to get the heated liquid to the surface. We also used high density flexible rubber pipe wrap on our feed hoses which stopped the temp. drop from the pot. Most big box hardware stores have that stuff. Your biggest temp. drop actually comes right at the gun nozzle as the principal behind any compressed air spray gun is that the releasing of essentially refrigerated air at the tip dumping into a normal temp. atmosphere is what cause atomization of the liquid.
Hey, and on that thought you might want to check out "airless" style sprayers. You see these at the Home Depots, etc., for house painting. Airless works by hydraulic pressure (1500 to 4000 p.s.i.) to form the spray pattern. The motor unit tilts back on wheels and dunks into a 5 gallon bucket of your material. Again you could simply put a 5 gallon heating band around the bucket or use the heating pad. That fluid hose would be insulated by you as well. Since the pressurized fluid is not fighting cold at the tip. you would probably have better thinning action. You can find used units around the net for $200 or less or new for $250 to $400 complete. I've painted whole Victorian homes with them in just a couple of days.....

Okay, just looked this up before I get out of here today.... This is just an example of the TYPE of system I am talking about...
http://www.harborfreight.com/58-horsepo ... 60600.html
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:51 am
I have thought of the airless paint sprayers. I was worried about the additional consumption, although I see on the one you chose and others the tip is adjustable for flow. I think I will venture towards that product after you mentioned them as I'm not certain the product HAS to be heated if I were to use the airless type designed for thicker paints. Fluid film is not quite as thick as an oil based paint but slightly thicker than latex. If I find that indeed it still needs to be heated I can add the band heater as you mentioned. And thereby not have the pressure/heat risk of explosion. Which is appealing! Which would also give me the machine for other projects, where as the auto spray gun would be more limited to its application and thankfully I haven't damaged my trucks so far. So my next question for you when you return, would be brand. It seems you have had varied experience. I see graco,wagner, kobalt and Campbell Huasfield any suggestions based on your preference?

Thanks again for your help.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:21 am
Yeah, I can help there somewhat.... this is how it breaks down....Graco is at the top of that list for quality and is used in my profession quite a bit because they are more user friendly and very efficient, some even have a "pump on demand" trigger gun which will only pressurize the gun when there is demand (extremely efficient). Wagner professional series would be next with their consumer line after that. I would say that Kobalt and C. H. would be across the board in quality and value after everything else.
Oh, and make sure that the liquid you are going to use is "compatible" with the pump, hoses, and more importantly tip of that airless. Either consult the spray system people or your liquid supplier. And yes, because of the hydraulic pressure there it indeed may not need heat.....

Return to Tools and Supplies