HVLP Turbine experts..

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:14 am
New to the forum, but not new to reading various topics here. I was hoping to get some help from the turbine sprayer experts, like DarrelK. I picked up what looks like an older version of the TP Tools Showtime Sprayer about a year ago that did not include a gun. It is basically identical except the front graphic is a siphon gun instead of a gravity gun, and it has the model number: HVLP-80.

I want to pick up a gun and spray various automotive finishes, including metallics, clears... and want to match the gun to the machine's power level as best I can. I just don't know if this happens to be a weaker 1 or 2 stage unit that will produce a poor finish no matter which spray gun I use. With that being said, if it is a little on the weak side, can I hook up another low buck, used turbine system using a Y connector between the main hose and the two turbines to increase power?

Might be more economical to pickup a brand new TP tools or Sprayfine system that includes a spray gun and adequate power.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:10 am
Well, I'll try to comment on a few things. There's usually good reasoning behind a manufacturer shifting there sales from one model to a more powerful design. TP only sells the 90 now which I believe they rate at 4 o 5 p.s.i. at max. I would assume the 80 is at 4 p.s.i. or less. And, yeah with some of the thicker viscosity stuff that's out there now over reducing/thinning is not a good thing.
Your idea about simply combining turbines.... well, it's not quite that simple. It has been done before and available on commercial units which were sold back in the 80s. The two turbines were mounted on a common rolling chassis. Because of the heat generated a multi speed fan cooled a separate intercooler triggered by a thermo sensor. Because you had two turbines that could easily pull 13 amps each (plus that cooling fan) on start up it had to be a 240 volt set-up or a capacitor start system was needed to keep it all 120. With two turbines it got you into that magic 6 to 8 p.s.i. range which is where we are at with 3 and 4 stage units but, at least in my opinion, there was still too much heat to control. The things could kick butt on home latex and such but fried the solvents out of auto paints and clears.
If I were you I think I would keep my eyes posted to craigslist, ebay, etc., as I see great deals all the time on there. Remember, these systems do not have the elaborate wear and tear items which plague a lot of used equipment. Combine that with the fact that guys buy them, don't have a clue about using them, and quickly resell them, so there are some great bargains out there. Recently saw 3 stage Fuji with less than 30 hours on it going for like $250 on a local auction site.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:48 pm
Could the heat issue be solved with the bag of ice method? Maybe have a pvc pipe plumbed inline or coiled hose buried in ice in addition to ice by the intakes?

As for purchasing a new unit, what is your opinion on:
A used CAPSPRAY CS8100 that seems to be a Sherwin Williams version http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPSPRAY-CS8100-HVLP-TURBINE-PAINT-SPRAYER-/381066639543?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b95778b7

A new 3 stage SprayFine unit http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-stage-HVLP-paint-sprayer-replacement-turbine-motor-/300570785032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fb6a3508

A used Fuji Mini Mite 4 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuji-Mini-Mite-4-spray-paint-machine-with-Fuji-Turbine-Spray-Gun-4h-tip-/191427676696?pt=Paint_Paint_Supplies&hash=item2c91fa8a18

And of course there is a brand new TP 90 unit that includes a gravity gun that has been proven to give pretty good results. If I wanted to mix and match pieces, what is a good gravity feed gun for various automotive finishes (no primers) that I could mix with, for example, the 3 Stage SprayFine unit (assuming its a decent machine)?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:13 pm
Trying to solve the heat issue of 2 turbines that way just doesn't work in my opinion. Ice and ice packs are fine for single turbine applications with 3 to 4 stages.

The edge in your examples there goes to the Fuji unit, just as long as you know that the hose is toast. Any time you see tape wrapped around the hose that means that it is splitting from the long term heat and probably being tromped on. The Fuji you listed has the most powerful 4 stage unit that is out there currently.
I do not like the adapted style gun that comes with that Capspray unit.
Absolutely nothing wrong with any Sprayfine turbine.

As for mixing and matching systems, do yourself a favor here and buy a complete system that already matches. I am not saying that different guns won't work with different systems, however it is going to be more "tinkering" to get everything to work together. Sometimes even the quick disconnects on the guns/hoses aren't exactly the same size. I've said this about a billion times on here, "There is no standardization with turbine systems." You are on your own when mixing and matching stuff.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:50 pm
Thanks a lot for your help, I think I'm leaning more towards a new SprayFine kit or the Fuji kit now. Regarding the Sprayfine system, is upgrading to the 4 stage system worth the extra cost? I realize the 3 stage can produce great paint jobs, I'm just curious if the additional power from the 4 stage will just be overkill for what I'm looking to do. Thanks again!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:51 am
To me turbines are very much like compressors when it comes to power and capacity. I don't think I've ever heard a guy say, "Well, I just bought too much compressor." You can always turn them down. Same for the turbine, you can always choke a 4 stage down for the extra 2 p.s.i. and added cfm it puts out but there is absolutely no way you are going to get that extra 2 p.s.i. and extra cfm squeezed out of a 3 stage. Buy as much as you can afford. 3 will get you by but 4 could helpful when needed.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:31 pm
I picked this up, its a SICMO, you can call them and get all sorts of tips and aircaps, they have a multi hole fine finish aircaps. Great gun and it should work with your turbine. This is the kind of gun that came with your turbine originally. 1.0 or 1.2 tip with a .5 multi hole fine finish aircap works perfect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/966-Gravity-Fee ... 2598f9baf6

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:31 pm
That is NOT a Sicmo gun in that sale. It is one of the newer Sicmo clone guns that are often found with several different systems. It does work fine with most any system HOWEVER it is more restrictive than the original SICMO design.

Return to Tools and Supplies