Compressor Too Small?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

Jamaica
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:14 pm
I received a compressor but i was wondering if i could attempt to do my car in maybe parts.
Below is a pic of the specs. (20 Gallon)

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:50 pm
It's too small for painting. You might be able to squeak by with panel-painting a solid color and letting the compressor recover/cool-down for a long time between painting sessions but I can't guarantee it.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:48 pm
You might look into a LVLP spray gun or an old fashioned pressure pot gun. And like chris said, 1 panel at a time and solid color only... you MIGHT squeek by with that compressor, also remember the more it runs, the hotter it gets and more water will be in the air, so you will need a good water seperator and a water filter at the gun and change out the one at the gun often and drain your tank after each session. ALSO, you might look into getting another air tank and plumbing it in. Get a box fan and have it blowing on your compressor too. I think you can do it, but its far from ideal. A 60 gallon comp would be much better and you could spray a whole car.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:58 pm
Too small for anyone serious about doing this type of work.
Make the investment in a good compressor or pay someone else to paint your car. Way too much frustration and aggravation working with an undersized compressor - been there and done that.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:19 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Too small for anyone serious about doing this type of work.
Make the investment in a good compressor or pay someone else to paint your car. Way too much frustration and aggravation working with an undersized compressor - been there and done that.

LOL! I painted an old '81 Ford F-100 using a hotdog compressor with single stage white. I read Atlas Shrugged while letting the compressor catch up to my now dry "wet edge." Looked great from a quarter-mile. :goodjob:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:02 pm
Well you know what they say... "Where there is a will, there's a way!"

It could be done 1 panel at a time, when I started painting my Nova panels all I had was a 25 gallon, then I borrowed a friends 20 gallon comp and hooked em together, THEN I added another 20 gallons with an old comp tank I got for free, THEN (lol), I finally gave up and broke down and bought my 60 gallon at Lowe's... Hey ya gotta try right? I hate spending money LOL :knockout:

Oh and nate, that one you did... all ya had to do was give it a good cut and buff !!! (inside joke) :happy:

Return to Tools and Supplies