compressor and gun

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:32 am
I have a husky 2hp 30 gal 110v compressor ive been using to paint. 135 psi max, its rated at 6.5 at 40psi and 5.5 at 90 psi. its a pulley motor not the other type.

the gun I use is the eastwood concours gun, I got it because it claims to only use 4cfm at 29psi so I bought it with all 4 tips 1.2 1.4 1.8 and 2.2.

they work great together Ive sprayed high build primer, basecoat, clear coat and heavy clear with metal flakes using the 2.2 tip. because of the size of the compressor obviously it kicked on a lot but in all it pulled through and they did the job great, no issues there.

my question, I would like to buy a higher end gun like a sata or binks. not that I need it but want to try one. they are rated at higher cfm, will they still work with my compressor?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:23 pm
not a chance, sorry.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:29 pm
Your post makes it sound like you plan to do more projects. My suggestion would be to put your money toward a bigger compressor. They are after all the "heart beat" of your shop. Big new units are spendy and if that's out of range, watch Craig's List. I bought a American made CH true 5 horse, 240 volt, 60 gallon tank unit in really good shape for $175. My higher end gun then became a DeVilbiss Plus gun with 3 tips for great versatility and capable of doing show quality paint jobs and will perform side by side with any gun out there if the user is practiced with it. I bought it here on the site from Chris. Probably get flamed by a few on here who think a Sata and or Iwata is the only way to go but IMHO for the hobbyist and even some pros the Plus gun is absolutely the best gun for the money hands down and stands tall with most any competitor. No one , or very few, will dispute the fact that the plus gun lays CC like glass and is exceptional for BC and will out perform most skill sets that all but the top end pros possess. The compressor that has the CFM to handle the good guns will also enhance your ability to run most any air tool you might use for your projects and you will never be sorry you bought it. Like I said just MHO but been around for a long time and air volume will do more for you across the board than a super high end gun will that commands lots of dollars to have the name. Good luck / Coy

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:35 pm
thank you coy and again thank you chris. I can afford upgrade to the 220 compressor and get the gun, just haven't done it because 220 volt scares me after pics I see online of people bbqed on them. will look into having a 220 outlet installed. I ask because yes I do plan to do more jobs, many more. not as a profession but a hobby, my own cars and friends cars and any more cars I get from here on. painting whether you go stock or full custom to me is an art and it intrigues me. especially if you give the paint job your own custom touches. when I get home ill post pics of work ive done, and work I plan to do. again thanks guys, will look into the upgrade then find a gun to buy here =)

Return to Tools and Supplies