Another Newbie with Compressor Questions

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:57 am
OK, so two compressors will work.
Last edited by Oldvanman on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:51 pm
Oldvanman wrote:OK, so two compressors will work. What I have is a Porter Cable/20gal/8.3scfm@40/5.8scfm@90 I'm looking at a used Craftsman/33gal/8.6scfm@40/6.4scfm@90 for $225. It's a four
hour round trip to pick it up, no big deal. I can get a new
Bostitch/26gal/4.1@90scfm for $244 at WalMart. No specs for 40psi, not even on the
Bostitch home page. I guess one could assume about 6@40.

That's what I would assume reading the above info. Have you checked Harbor Freight? They've got some deals going on now. I get their e-mail coupons. $180 for 5.8 CFM @ 40 PSI, 4.7 CFM @ 90 PSI.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:38 pm
OK, two compressors will work. What I have is a Porter Cable 20gal/8.3scfm@40psi/
5.5scfm@90psi. I can get a used Craftsman 33gal/8.6scfm@40psi/6.4scfm@90psi for
$224. Four hour round trip to haul it home. Or, I could get a new Bostitch 26gal/4.1scfm@90psi at WalMart for $245. No specs for 40psi on WalMart site or at Bostitch home page. I guess it would be safe to assume 6scfm at 40psi.
I'm leaning towards the Craftsman for tank size and more than enough scfm.
Opinions please.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:15 pm
A commuter airliner was enroute from Warsaw to Krakow when the pilot pointed out the picturesque Vistula River on their left. Passengers stood up and leaned over to peer out the windows. A few minutes later, the pilot points out the snow topped Carpathian Mountains to their right. Again, passengers stood up and leaned over to gaze at the sight. The airliner immediately spun out of control, broke apart, and crashed to the ground. There were too many poles in the right half plane. :rockon: Sorry, esoteric engineering joke from long ago.

LOL!
You didn't take into account the air that would be added back in by the compressor, did you, or did I miss that? Seems to me in your scenario, you are only calculating how long the air already in the tank would last, disregarding the 5 or 6 CFM that would be added to it while it was bleeding down. Your formula should really be a constant plus a time dependent variable, i.e., at some time after squeezing the trigger, the pressure and volume would drop below what the spray gun requires. If this time is is less than the time needed to do a coat on a hood or a door, then there could be problems, but choosing the right reducer would buy some time to allow the compressor to catch up.

Correct. I was only calculating how much spraying time would be added by hooking up each additional tank.
Based on my experience, without doing LaPlace transforms and stuff, I think I could spray individual doors or a hood before it petered out.

Well played! Not sure LaPlace transforms are the ticket here, as they are most commonly used in Electrical Engineering, but you certainly get bonus points for the obscure mathematical reference!!!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:30 pm
1MechEng wrote:
A commuter airliner was enroute from Warsaw to Krakow when the pilot pointed out the picturesque Vistula River on their left. Passengers stood up and leaned over to peer out the windows. A few minutes later, the pilot points out the snow topped Carpathian Mountains to their right. Again, passengers stood up and leaned over to gaze at the sight. The airliner immediately spun out of control, broke apart, and crashed to the ground. There were too many poles in the right half plane. :rockon: Sorry, esoteric engineering joke from long ago.

LOL!
You didn't take into account the air that would be added back in by the compressor, did you, or did I miss that? Seems to me in your scenario, you are only calculating how long the air already in the tank would last, disregarding the 5 or 6 CFM that would be added to it while it was bleeding down. Your formula should really be a constant plus a time dependent variable, i.e., at some time after squeezing the trigger, the pressure and volume would drop below what the spray gun requires. If this time is is less than the time needed to do a coat on a hood or a door, then there could be problems, but choosing the right reducer would buy some time to allow the compressor to catch up.

Correct. I was only calculating how much spraying time would be added by hooking up each additional tank.
Based on my experience, without doing LaPlace transforms and stuff, I think I could spray individual doors or a hood before it petered out.

Well played! Not sure LaPlace transforms are the ticket here, as they are most commonly used in Electrical Engineering, but you certainly get bonus points for the obscure mathematical reference!!!

That's about all I remember from 29-30 years ago, the "poles" joke and LaPlace transforms. Graduated from Annapolis with a B.S. in Systems Engineering. Won the top design award for my discipline. Went into the Marine Corps, and never used it again. :)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:35 pm
I was in the same boat as you, had a 60 gal compressor rated at 9.5CFM @ 90PSI I have a Finishline FLG4 gun and that air compressor couldn't keep up without producing a ton of moisture.

Went and bought a 2 stage pump rated at 17CFM @ 175PSI now I can actually have the pump kick on and shut off while spraying.
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies