Body Work Supplies

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:54 pm
I'm gonna be starting a project soon. 1969 Mustang coupe restoration. I'm gonna replacing sheetmetal and extensive body work. I'm planning on using ********** products for all the primer, sealer part of the job. Im gonna finish it off with a matte black bc/cc paint job.

My question is, I'm gonna have to purchase a lot of sandpaper, filler, and supplies. Where's a good place to buy these supplies? What's the easiest working filler to use?I'm dealing with rust issues also. I want to coat the metal I can. Is POR15 what they say it is? Not looking to cover up the rust. But coat the underside and panels that I'm not replacing.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:54 pm
Ebay, Amazon, and autobodytoolmart.com are a few of my favorites for consumables. I've just recently started using Rage ultra made by Evercoat. It's the easiest sanding filler I've come across. It's not really intended for heavy filling. In those situations I use a less expensive filler as s base first. I would also recommend trying the Tamco dtm primer Chris sells here on the site. Best I've used hands down.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:17 am
Forget the POR15 and plan on removing the rust either by cutting it out or sandblasting.
The ********** epoxy will protect the underside of the car and any components that do not receive direct sunlight. You can also apply undercoating over the epoxy if you choose.

Buying products online is something we all do, however you must take the shipping costs into consideration.

For sandpaper Indasa is cheap and works well for the coarse grits. Once you get to 320 grit and up I would go with 3M Gold, Norton or another name brand. The quality is better, the paper last longer and they have better consistency of the grit used. No stray grains that can scratch deeper than you want.

You will need some Wet/Dry paper in 600 for final sanding before paint. With a matte finish you are not going to be buffing anything so "what you spray is what you get." Make sure your body work is perfect because black shows every imperfection.

I suggest you visit your local jobber and see what products they carry. I am sometimes surprised at how reasonable the sandpaper, masking supplies, filler etc. are at these places.

Rage is a great filler but very expensive. I have been using Marson Platinum (not the plus) and find it easy to work with. 3M bought them out so its now 3M 01171.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:27 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote: Rage is a great filler but very expensive. I have been using Marson Platinum (not the plus) and find it easy to work with. 3M bought them out so its now 3M 01171.

I pay my jobber $41 per gallon delivered for Rage Ultra. Don't use Marson anymore since I bought Ultra.

Best to get prices from your jobber and establish a relationship with them. Some are knowledgeable and can help you out. Compare to on-line prices. Some on-line vendors are much more expensive than others. Amazon is a good source.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:04 pm
Scott,
I will check it out next time I order. The price you are getting it at is way cheaper than what the jobber here was selling it for.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:44 pm
Try Smartshoppers .com.They have the cheapest prices on House OF KOLOR.

Return to Tools and Supplies