help with budget/starter gun info

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:27 pm
Hello. does anyone have experience with this Graco 3M PPS hvlp/compliant spray gun?

I can get this gun for $160.

My local bodyshop supply guy sells this gun. They swear by it. Says it's a great gun. It is $117 plus I need to get another tip for clearcoat spraying.

What about the Sharpe Finex FX3000? Or the Devilbiss FLG4 FinishLine? That's really max budgetwise for me. I wanted to keep it around $150ish but under $200. I also see the Astro lines that come with multiple guns but they are little over $200

Any other options? Opinions on these? This will be a basecoat / clearcoat gun. I'll use a Harbor Freight for my priming.

Thanks in advance.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:31 pm
FLG4 is a great gun! Devilbiss makes great affordable guns for the pro user and everything in between. I personally don't know much about Finexx stuff. I can tell you again Devilbiss is the way to go. Spend the extra get better quality! :allgood:

randomBullets wrote:Hello. does anyone have experience with this Graco 3M PPS hvlp/compliant spray gun?

I can get this gun for $160.

My local bodyshop supply guy sells this gun. They swear by it. Says it's a great gun. It is $117 plus I need to get another tip for clearcoat spraying.

What about the Sharpe Finex FX3000? Or the Devilbiss FLG4 FinishLine? That's really max budgetwise for me. I wanted to keep it around $150ish but under $200. I also see the Astro lines that come with multiple guns but they are little over $200

Any other options? Opinions on these? This will be a basecoat / clearcoat gun. I'll use a Harbor Freight for my priming.

Thanks in advance.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:44 pm
LUGO- do you know anything about the 3M Graco gun? The guy has the invioce for it it was over $600 in that mostly because of the name or was is that good? He told me he couldn't make this gun orange peel it laid that smooth.

Thanks for replying and I really was leaning toward the FinishLine version or a full set of the StartingLine before I was offered this one. Just attempting to get some info on it I can't find anything as far as reviews or anything on it.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:30 am
I have the FX-3000. Use it for base coats. Works great. No problems at all laying down a beautiful base coat.

I also have the Finishline FLG-4 for clear coats. It's a good quality gun. I'm just a hobby painter, so these were perfect for my budget.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:36 pm
I think I have the starting line deVilbiss guns didn't use them yet, it was a two pack, are they any good?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:39 pm
Nate- what if you could only choose 1 or the other. Have you sprayed clear with the FX3000? The picture you show of the example of the FLG4 was that after a cut/buff? By the way looks very good either way, better than factory. Thanks for replying.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:35 am
after thinking about it, a lot. I think the devilbiss FinishLine 4 kit that comes with a 1.3 and 1.5 tips as well as a starter DeKup set and a regulator is actually the better deal? I found that deal on Walmart.com of all places with free shipping for 174$ it actually comes from TCPglobal.

Can anyone confirm that the one sold on this site comes with 3 tips, regulator, and plastic cup? http://www.autobody101.com/store/spray-guns/devilbiss-finishline-4-flg-671/

The FX3000 does't come with anything but a cup. I was already planning on buying the deKup stuff and you have to have a regulator so it really comes down to which one is better, and from the reviews I've read that would have to be the FinishLine.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:12 am
RandomBullets-- Lets just say the 3m Graco gun is a great gun, the price point is high now you may think about the useage from your thoughts like how many times am I using this gun am I going to make money with this over time or is this a hobby thing. They are a quality gun, depending on how long ago he purchased price point might be different. His explanation of how it laid it out smooth usually is determined by the settings of the gun and his actual handle on it. Every gun has its own charachteristics and with this one is no different. Atomization process in guns vary this one will shot top quality given the proper settings, air pressures etc.

Going back to the Devilbiss Finishline id go that route or take it a step higher and going with a TEKNA Prolite.
http://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/pr ... y-gun.aspx
I personally owned one of these my self and I use past tense as im very sorry I ever even sold this to get my SATA RP 3000. This gun offers great clear coat quality as well as basecoats and waterborne. Cleans up good and really reliable. If your looking for that glass clear finish you want the PROLITE. At a price point for the kit for about $500.00 depending on the jobber at were you purchase you will like this.

Devilbiss FLG4 is a great all around gun that comes with different tips for clear, base, and primer. Great design cleans up good and for the prices they run man your getting a deal. There is a kit that brings the Dekups as well.
randomBullets wrote:LUGO- do you know anything about the 3M Graco gun? The guy has the invioce for it it was over $600 in that mostly because of the name or was is that good? He told me he couldn't make this gun orange peel it laid that smooth.

Thanks for replying and I really was leaning toward the FinishLine version or a full set of the StartingLine before I was offered this one. Just attempting to get some info on it I can't find anything as far as reviews or anything on it.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:15 am
These guns are good for smaller jobs, they are the cheaper of the devilbiss guns but can get you by. I see guys using these for all kinds of stuff. Not to lie I started out using these early on in my career they were reliable but if your looking for the sharp quality you might want to step up to a Finishline.

wahoo wrote:I think I have the starting line deVilbiss guns didn't use them yet, it was a two pack, are they any good?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:17 pm
randomBullets wrote:Nate- what if you could only choose 1 or the other. Have you sprayed clear with the FX3000? The picture you show of the example of the FLG4 was that after a cut/buff? By the way looks very good either way, better than factory. Thanks for replying.

If I had to choose only one gun, I'd pick the Finishline FLG-4. I originally bought the FX-3000 to spray cabinet doors with conversion varnish. It doesn't atomize as well as the Finishline. When I spray clear with the Finishline, it looks like steam coming out. Not so with the FX-3000.

No cut and buff in that picture, although I purchased everything I need to do that. Other projects have come to the top of the list. My wife and I installed 140' of concrete curbing yesterday and today. That's just the front yard. Back yard is double that.

Thanks for the compliment. It does have factory orange peel, just like practically every brand new car I observe on the road. I should have never painted my truck. Today, the Lowes guy leaned up against my truck while placing a bag of sand in the back. I cringed. :knockout:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies