Old Devilbis 230 air compressor worth buying for $100?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:06 am
I found a local seller with a devilbis compressor. the pump is model 230. It's listed as working but "needs work". Does anyone have any specs like CFM (when new).

It's has a 2hp 3 phase motor. Would a 5 hp single phase power it?

I'm ok with investing some time and money. But if all I get is 8 CFM after refurbishing, that wouldn't be enough for my application.

-Vetsen

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:28 am
It's probably more than 8CFM but unless you can validate that the tank is safe I would not do it. Also the pump needs to be inspected to see if it needs to be rebuilt. Yes, a 5HP motor at the same RPM ought to be a reasonable substitute.

I've been down this road with craigslist air compressors. I know some guys find the one owned by an old guy who only did woodworking once a month and the compressor had less than 100 hours on it and looked brand new...the ones I saw were always worth more by the pound at the scrap yard.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:44 pm
About a year ago I was looking for a nice medium sized compressor for at home. I decided I wanted American made, and I was really trying to find an old Devilbiss or Quincy. If you poke around the web at some of the other forums (not sure if can I mention those without them being deleted by moderators), you will find that the old Devilbiss compressors are some of the finest ever made. The valves are completely rebuildable if needed also, and fairly simple to work on. You would need to spend thousands to get an equivalent modern-day compressor.

One final note about Quincy is that they are still in business and you can buy parts for just about everything they ever made. Take a peek at the Quincy QR-25 model 325. They often come up for sale on Craigslist or in the papers.

From what I can find on the web, the Devilbiss 230 good for about 10cfm. Maybe not the best choice if you use a lot of air tools. I'm not sure about parts availability, but here's a schematic of the Devilbiss 220 for comparison: http://www.devairusa.com/Devair_Pumps/Devair_Breakdowns_pdf/220.pdf

I think you will find people fairly equally divided on the topic of old compressors. The people that like tinkering with stuff generally prefer the old stuff because it's made so well. If you're worried about the tank, get it hydro tested. Or...buy a new tank and keep the old pump.

Good luck.

Return to Tools and Supplies