Spray gun and compressor for amateur

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:00 am
Hi There,
Thanks for the opportunity to post questions and pull knowledge from you.
I'm repainting an outboard motor. I've been doing a lot of prep and getting close to being ready to paint. As I'm not painting anything as big as a car and since I'm likely not going to be paint anything else, I'm looking for the least expensive way doing this. I'm looking at spray guns and compressor and hoping to get away with the most basic options. Any suggestions?

(I tried doing searches first, but only half the page would populate then freeze)

Thanks a lot !

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:00 pm
That's odd...it works fine for me. Search on the text: spray gun recommendation returns thousands of results.

If you aren't painting anything else and it's a small project, the cheapest way to do it is to get loaded cans of automotive paints from your local auto body supplier (jobber). They can put "real" auto paints into special aerosol cans, including activated cans for catalyzed paints like clear coats.

Entry ticket on any decent gun and compressor is not going to be worth it, to do one job.

Another option is to prep the parts and see how much a small local collision shop might charge you to just paint them.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:06 am
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply Chris.
The search is working for me now. I've been having some wacky things with my computer lately, so it was likely that.

I'll look into the rattle can option. I knew they could fill the containers with paint but I had assumed that it was not really the same as paint you mix just prior to spraying. Since it will be exposed to gas and oil more regularly than a car, I wanted to make sure that it was hardened paint.

I checked into local paint shops but no one was interested.

Thanks for the help.

Return to Tools and Supplies