Simple compressor/dryer setup

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:48 am
I just bought a new compressor, a Kobalt 60 gallon, 3.7hp 13.4 cfm @40psi. Its not ideal but I a newbie and getting started. I plan on using a Sharpe Finex fx3000 to start out and later on possibly upgrade to a Tekna Prolite. I have just the compressor, can someone guide me on how to run the pipe/hose and dryer kit? I live in San Diego county so weather is very dry with moderate temps. I will continue to do some research but any help/ideas is much appreciated. Also if this isn't enough I do have a 33 gallon Husky compressor to combine if a must.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:34 am
Sorry for not seeing this sooner.

You are going to want to run approx 25 feet of hard line from the compressor, before your dryer/filter.

See this diagram: http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.ns ... ing+Layout

Also, use the advanced search facility up above...there are tons of threads on this topic...

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:44 pm
Awesome diagram, thanks! Will do the advanced search function but I have a quick question: Can you recommend a flexible line from the compressor to the pipe? Also is galvanized recommended, copper piping probably the way to go, correct?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:30 pm
Sure - I personally like to use a good hydraulic hose for that connection. I say 'good' but to be honest the last one I bought was a made in China deal from Tractor Supply. Price was right, and the PSI rating is so ridiculously high you'll never have to worry about using it for compressed air. Also Tractor Supply has all the fittings for making the connection to the compressor and then to your pipe system.

Galvanized pipe would work but I can't stand making all those threaded connections especially with elbows in tight spots, etc. I have my compressor in a machine room that's underneath my garage, and I ran 3/4" copper, sweated everything in.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:28 am
Thanks Chris. I have on more question haha. My compressor didn't come with a regulator, is the one at the Qc3 sufficient? Or should I put one on the compressor?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:52 am
Right, you don't want a regulator at the compressor (other than the compressor's built in limit system) -- you want one on the wall at the termination of your hard line and filter/dryer. The built-in one on the QC3 is fine.

On my setup I put a simple pre-filter/separator ahead of the QC3, then a dedicated regulator, then the QC3. I ended up removing the regulator that came with the QC3. I did all of this because I wanted to protect the dedicated regulator and the QC3 a little bit better.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:56 am
Chris I think Im going to follow your setup. Can you point me to an inexpensive 3/4" separator? I already ordered a 3/4" regulator (trying to keep everything 3/4").

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:04 am
Mine is a Parker. Look for surplus places online or eBay...

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:25 pm
I will keep my eye out for one, thanks. I've tried the search function but cant seem to find which copper pipe I should use? Home depot/Lowes carry both M and L but I asked someone in the AC business and he thought that K copper pipe should be used, can you clarify on which one to use? And would I have to use the exact same elbows and other copper adapters?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:25 pm
You can use L. You don't need K unless you are burying the pipe under soil. The connectors at the big box hardware stores are all "L", I believe...those will be fine.

Return to Tools and Supplies