Devilbiss vs Devilbiss

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:47 am
I didn't realize you had posted the same question in Lens forum until today (brain dead!!). I'm not a professional painter (aircraft mechanic) but I like to read all the forums I can for information. I've been buying from Len for quite a while because he's honest and uses the products he sells. If I would have found this forum first and started buying from here, it would probably be different. I like to stick to one trusted forum for answers to questions because of the many different answers you'll get from other people who think they know what's going on (one particular hot rod forum, and one person there). Either spray gun is great. I'm looking forward to the Sagola, as soon as my project needs it. The Plus I had sprayed a great finish, but the pattern was a little short. Good luck in any way you go.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:32 pm
I have all of the aforementioned guns: the Plus, the ProLite, and the Sagola 4500. (And admittedly, I'm a loyal DeVilbiss user.)
I spray mostly PPG waterborne base/clear, and some BASF solvent base/clear.
For me, the best value out there is the DeVilbiss Copper Tekna. I love my ProLite with the 1.3/TE20, but the Tekna Copper 1.3 / 7E7 is just as good at atomizing at a better price point. (Counter point: the ProLite feels better in my smaller hands, and the quick clean coating is a bit easier to clean up with waterborne materials). The Plus is an older and heavier (but slightly more forgiving) gun, but the technology just isn't there in terms of droplet size and dispersion. (Please note: I don't need to use HVLP setups based on my air quality management district, so the compliant/trans-tech air caps are my preference as they consume less air out of the compressor.)
The Sagola is a nice gun. However, it's about the same price as a Tekna Copper, and is not quite as good at atomization quality and consistency across the pattern. I'd say it's better than the Finish Line and the Plus, but not as good as the Teknas or ProLites.
And I really like DeVilbiss Customer Service. They are US-based, and very knowledgeable. I've talked with Mike / Deb at DeV. a few times and they are great to work with.
In the end, it really depends on what your value proposition is: do you value comfort, quality, price, customer service, or ease of clean up the most?
Hope my $0.02 worth helps.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:03 pm
1MechEng, thanks for your opinion. Is the Tekna Quick Clean gun the same as the Copper except with the quick clean coating? I thought I read that somewhere. If so, would that carry all the advantages of the Prolite with the exception of the weight and smaller grip?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:00 pm
Cougar -
I'm almost positive that the older Tekna QuickClean and the Tekna Copper are the same gun except for the coatings.
The Tekna aircap design is a little older than the ProLite, but still atomizes very well. The 202/909 caps for the older Teknas aren't as good as the TE10/HV30 for the Prolite IMO. But the 7E7 and the TE20 are virtually identical when sprayed.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:21 pm
INXS2 wrote: I like to stick to one trusted forum for answers to questions because of the many different answers you'll get from other people who think they know what's going on (one particular hot rod forum, and one person there). .

There's another forum dominated by professionals, you just did not find it yet. Some techs there spray all day in multiple booths. No products sold so opinions are not biased. There are many painters and each has there own preference, so of course many different answers will be found. Best thing you can do is demo a gun before you buy it. I shop around for guns, many on-line stores are much higher than others. I run a shop and don't like to give my money away, don't think a hobbyist wants to either.
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies