Devilbiss vs Devilbiss

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:16 pm
I am looking to replace my old suction feed Binks No.7 spray gun with a newer style gun. I am a hobbyist painter and usually paint in a home made booth in my workshop in my barn. I tried some cheaper HVLP guns over the last few years and always go back to my Binks as I was vastly disappointed with the atomization and spray patterns as well as the amount of over spray the cheap HVLP's produced. Some of the over spray I'm sure was my fault since I turned up the air pressure trying to increase the atomization but all in all they were unacceptable even to me.
Anyways, the two guns I have narrowed my search to are the Devilbiss GFG-670 Plus or the Tekna Prolite. I can't seem to find any head to head comparisons and was wondering if people here thought the Tekna was worth the extra $100 or so more than the Plus? Both come with multiple tips while the Tekna comes also with 2 different aircaps. I typically have been shooting single stage urethane paints but will also be shooting some basecoat/clearcoat in the future. I have plenty of primer guns and a few touchup guns so this new gun is for color and clear only. I don't necessarily mind spending the extra dollars since I see this as an investment, but since I only paint a few vehicles a year I don't want to spend the extra money if the Plus would work just as well. I have a 5HP 2 stage 60 gal compressor so the air requirements between the two doesn't bother me.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:13 am
I own both along with a tekna copper and an iwata lph400.. Go for for the prolite out of all of them IMO.

The PLUS will do a great job, but you have to crank it up some, The prolite operates great at 25psi and below.

Ryan

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:52 pm
Thanks for the info. It's nice to have someone who owns both to give me their opinion. Thanks!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:45 am
I've had the PLUS for awhile and i always just used it as a clear gun, then it got shelved. Well one night a few months back I decided to dust it off and use it for a gold mettallic base(yes balsy) and the gun flat out rocked for shooting base!

The prolite is equalliy as good, just runs at a lower psi and is more comfy in the grip.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:17 pm
I have a devilbiss plus and an iwata lph400. I rarely use the devilbiss plus anymore. It sprays nice and flat. But I agree with orangejuice that it takes a little more psi to spray great. I can spray my base with my iwata with around 22 to 25 psi and get good coverage with little overspray. Then my clear at around 28 to 30 psi and it comes out with very little orange peel about like the factory paint jobs. I havent tried the Tekna but I heard the pro lite is an awesome gun.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:40 pm
Well I'm fairly sure then that I will go ahead and pull the trigger ( :rotfl: ) on the Tekna Prolite. I hate spending any more than necessary but it sounds like the Tekna is worth it.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:16 pm
OK, I thought I was done with this decision and was going with the Tekna Prolite but someone just stuck a bug in my ear and recommended the Sagola 4500 Extreme. I don't see anything on the forum about Sagola. Does anyone have an opinion on the Sagola?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:51 am
No opinions on the Sagola, but from what I have read on the web the 4500 is a pretty nice gun!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:33 am
I have both guns, but haven't used the Sagola 4500 yet. I got both from a store that has a great forum. Len, the owner uses what he sells and from watching YouTube videos on the Sagola 4500, it'll be better then the Plus I had (sprayed great) and the Tekna Pro Lite I've got. I guess I'll use the Tekna for base and the Sagola for clear. Watch a few videos on YouTube for the Sagola 4500 and you'll see what I mean.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:57 am
INXS2 wrote:I have both guns, but haven't used the Sagola 4500 yet. I got both from a store that has a great forum. Len, the owner uses what he sells and from watching YouTube videos on the Sagola 4500, it'll be better then the Plus I had (sprayed great) and the Tekna Pro Lite I've got. I guess I'll use the Tekna for base and the Sagola for clear. Watch a few videos on YouTube for the Sagola 4500 and you'll see what I mean.

Len is the one who put the "bug" in my ear about the Sagola. I was looking for some confirmation on a different forum from people who should not be as biased as Len might be. I figured the more opinions I get the better. I have heard no one who bought either of these guns who regretted it but I have heard that a few quite using the Tekna (especially for clears) once they used the Sagola.
Since I spray in a DIY booth with less than optimal ventilation, reduced overspray is important to me as is the ability to lay a smooth coat without fighting the gun. I am still an amateur painter so I am looking for any advantages I can get.
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies