? cotton drop sheets over frame for spray booth

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:58 am
hey guys

I am trying to think of a quick easy and cheap spray booth to erect in a garage, i know the standard is plastic sheeting and poly pipe.

I am wondering if I can just build a frame out of rebar (or poly) and then secure cotton drop sheets over all 4 sides and roof - i'm thinking cotton is static neutral so wont cause problems like plastic sheeting and may let a bit of air flow / filter effect and it will also catch the overspray better than plastic, and can also be washed / reused/easily packed up.

what are peoples thoughts on this?

I am thinking of just putting soft cell foam down low on one side an then on the other I am trying to figure out what fan I should buy to force fresh air in... or whether I can get away without a fan... and just have soft cell foam /filter mesh on both sides.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:44 am
Sounds ok but I'd be worried about lint. Cotton has a lot of loose open fibers to end up floating around.

Also, check your PM inbox...thanks...

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:37 am
I use white tarps. It helps with lightning and I can hose them off when needed. Plus, they don't gold static like the plastic.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:15 pm
ah I didnt think about the lint issue.

thanks for the idea about tarps !
Last edited by s900t8v on Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:47 pm
i was going to paint my first car soon and decided to buy cheap contracter type spring loaded polls along with the thin car plastic rolls they sell. i will pin the plastic up all over the place and fold it under each poll tight, then duct tape the seem to the garage floor. i will install a cheap zipper system into the plastic somewhere and box out my intake/exhaust filter boxes and air hose access.

this will be quicker i think than erecting a frame and taking it apart, since room is at a minimum and i can store these in the one raised area for storage available.

Return to Tools and Supplies