cheapest half safe lighting to use? LEDs?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:09 am
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181635873601 ... EBIDX%3AIT

these are meant to be waterproof, was thinking of putting one in each corner or stringing them onto a mobile frame to roll around my DIY booth as required.

is LED any good for painting or not... 120 isnt the widest angle...

my other thought was just holding a sealed fluro work light in left hand and paint with the right?

what are people using trying to keep costs down with this booth development/keep it half safe

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:56 am
Good question.

I have a booth (well, technically "spray enclosure") that is well lit from the ceiling but gets too dark down the side of the car. I considered something like the floods you linked but I'd want to wall mount and they'd just get in the way. Further, because the wall is close, I'd need lots of them to get even light on a vehicle only a metre away.

So, I've been looking at something like this.

Low profile means they won't get in the way. Mounted in the strips, with covers they're waterproof so I can still hose the booth out. Low voltage means that they're safe(r).

Can't see too many negatives, really, provided I get the right colour LEDs. Well, except for the fact that I calculate that I'd need about 30 of them, with transformers. :flatten:
Chris

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:10 am
LOL thats just a few! haha yeah I was concenred about the beam issue with them being so close...

I wish I could find cheap sealed fluoro tubes,, not all that common except for these...

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... mendations

I am only painting a scooter so I guess I need to build my booth and see how starved of light I am before going crazy with this crap...

found these though

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291411001444 ... EBIDX%3AIT

not sealed at all though could be ok from outside shining through the plastic?

i'm wondering how they need to be grounded though ?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:35 am
Those little flouros aren't any good and the ceiling troffers, well I have plenty of them...

Looks good, eh? But, put a car in there and you can see how dark it gets down the sides

For your use, one of those floods mounted in each corner might be ok.
Chris

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:50 am

im thinking of trying to replicate this on small scale

my booth 2m long 1.5m wide (enough for scooter) 2m high. thinking thick clear builders plastic for cheapness/dismantleability (I know it attracts static), put the fluors outside the plastic sheeting for safety.....mount 2 45 degree angle lights from roof and 4 horizontal lights one on each wall... that should give enough illumination

the fluors are 1200mm 36w each bulb thats pretty good!

then clark rubber foam wadding as a filter at the bottom of one end, and run one of those 300mm blowers (with ducting from vapour free area) to pressurise the booth from the top of the other end. they flow about 2000cfm enough maybe just for a small booth

think I will go buy 6 or so of those fluoros tomorrw, only 45 mins away, pretty darn cheap considering they have the 240v plugs, an come with 36w globes.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:41 pm
so picked up the panel fluoro lights for $10 each - got 7 in the end lol

will probably sell off a few I dont need but thought I'm better to have more until I build the booth

they have 36w cool white tubes in them, I grabbed a couple of osram DAYLIGHT tubes Color rendering index 80 and color 6000k with new starters just to see the difference and its pretty obvious!!! pretty awesome OSRAM quality 36w tubes being $2.50 each!

not great photos but 1 pair seems to throw out a fair bit of light!

think this will do fine..

I am going to create the truss work for my booth out of cheap pine and I will just cable tie the lights into position outside the plastic both at 45 degrees on the roof an at 1m height on the wall all aroudn the booth.

hopefully hte plastic sheeting I use wont take away too much light...

Return to Tools and Supplies