my exhaust fan setup at home

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:51 pm
Just installed this, didn't remove the glass yet but I hope it will be adequate.

Any thoughts on if I should extended it or add an elbow pointing up for the outside portion?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:53 pm

See it would just be dumping out the garage door.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:27 am
I would just extend a duct out horizontally a few feet and make sure there's nothing in the area of the exhaust. Adding an elbow will restrict the airflow.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:58 am
I will at least do that, I wonder if I should get a charcoal filter so it doesn't smell up the neighbors.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:39 pm
filter would be good - you prob dont want overspray building up inside the fan as it would be hard to clean and if you shoot laquer it creates a fire risk doesnt it?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:18 pm
The motors in those aren't explosion proof as far as I know, and I really don't know if that poses an undue risk or not but I thought I would mention it. It would need to throw a spark and have very concentrated vapour I would think. I've never seen my fan do that but my compressor does it all the time. (It's in another room)

To be on the safe side I now have my fan the other way (positive pressure), I have a 2 room shop so the fan is in the other room blasting the air inward. With the outside door open a bit the fumes exit due to the pressure difference. Seems to work well.
Rob

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:55 am
I'm only painting one car so I'm not doing a crazy setup. I spoke with other people I know who live in the county(not suburbs) area and they've painted with open flames around, and saw the fumes cause the flame to grow, which is dangerous but they never had an explosion.

They weren't very smart but managed to not die, I work with someone who has 30 years of experience doing auto body and he said it will be fine with the furnace fan. And he said not to worry about the compressor being in the same room.

I think it would have to be very cloudy with lots of fumes in the air to be dangerous. But if anyone else gas any experience with this I'm interested.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:34 am
ive personally read on a forum about a guy whos fan ignited his rattle can vapour, serious burns to face throat and upper limbs.

you always take a gamble when you take someones word at face value. theres a million threads saying its ok to have ignition sources in room as long as you have adequate ventilation. it takes a combination of perfect conditions for an explosion but would you really want to risk it being you lol - seems like a no brainer to me

I take every possible step to create a safe environment when DIYing. I know to do this because id be nothing but regret if something happened. i enjoy being alive.

I wonder if your guy with auto body experience paints in a booth with proper filtration/extraction? the risk is low. certainly much higher in diy setups

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:21 am
When I painted my truck, I used two brushless attic vent fans and had enough air flow that I was never standing around in vast clouds of vapor in the air, so I was comfortable doing that. It got a little foggy for a minute or two when I sprayed the clear, but not enough to increase my pucker-factor. Base coat didn't linger at all. I had a total of 3200 CFM in my 4900 cubit foot space.

You can go to such extremes with all the explosion-proof equipment that you'd be spending more on that than just paying a good body shop to do the work.

I do like the positive pressure idea. Next time I'll reverse my setup and to that.

The contactor switches on compressors will definitely spark, but my compressors are outside. If they were inside, I'd wrap the switches in plastic and tape them up as an added precaution.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Return to Tools and Supplies