Suggestions for airbrush convert....

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:30 pm
I am looking to buy some paint equipment to begin learning how to paint cars. I am looking to purchase a spray gun or two, and a good compressor that will be able to keep up with what I purchase. I have been doing allot of reading and I believe I am going to spring for a HVLP gun. I have looked at the LVLP guns and from what I have read is not what i'm looking for.

How do HVLP compare to conventional spray guns ( I used a conventional last summer)? Also how do HVLP guns compare to airbrushes? My background is in hobby painting, so I am very familiar with airbrushes and am quite experienced with laying down a good coat with any type of paint through an airbrush.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a gun, but I don't want something cheap either since I know how to paint and don't want to be held back by equipment. I have been looking at a Binks SV100 gun. Is this a good gun for the price range, or should I be looking at something else? I'm open to suggestions on what guns are good in the $150 - $200 price range.

Thanks!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:18 pm
HVLP is about the worst gun to use for a new painter and coming from an airbrush you will hate it. It's good for primers, base paint, saving money on supplies when doing high volume work and keeping the environment clean (which is why the EPA mandated efficiency hurdles on guns).

Not to mention that you need a pretty big compressor to drive an HVLP gun; most of them suck down >12 CFM of air.

Find yourself a good RP (reduced pressure) gun for your first gun.

Return to Tools and Supplies