Wagner 2600 Soft Spray, NBC Gun, and hose Questions

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:55 am
Hi:

I found this forum while searching for info regarding the now-discontinued Wagner 2600 HVLP spray unit. (more info about this is available at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000223PC?tag=nonstopmakemo-20 )

I am by no means expert in the subject of spray equipment (as the following will attest), though I do understand the basic concepts of spraying with regards to how to move the gun to spray evenly, how to avoid runs, viscosity, etc., but the mechanical engineering aspects of the equipment are somewhat of a mystery to me.

I use the Wagner unit for hobbyist woodworking, mainly to shoot lacquer onto small furniture and cabinet parts. I bought this unit probably in 2003 or thereabouts. The questions I have deal with the hose and the gun. It looks like at some point I may have inadvertently removed the needle packing while cleaning the gun, and as a consequence the gun leeks on occasion. Moreover, I've always found the gun to be heavy and a bit cumbersome. I believe that the gun is classified as a "conversion type", for it looks like a conventional spray gun with a cup at the bottom.

In addition to this I found that the air hose had some leaks which I repaired using bicycle tube patches and electrician's tape (yeah, I know), which did make a noticeable improvement; however perhaps the hose itself has become too old and needs replacement, for though I haven't done a "wash tub" leak test recently (hard to do with a 20' hose), there now seems to be insufficient pressure to spray, or the spray pattern is weak.

I'd like to replace the hose and I'd like to replace the gun with a gravity-feed type. One that I am considering is the Neiko 1.5mm HLVP Air Spray gun (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UVLAM6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2T4Z04GJ4YJYE&coliid=I2VPQUPQ8K55TD)

The problem that I see with using this is that the hose that fits the Wagner receives what appears to be a 3/4" nipple (I'm measuring from inside edge to inside edge of the female coupler on the hose) and this gun (as well as others I am considering) have a 1/4" nipple. I've looked online for a 3/4' to 1/4" fitting but cannot seem to find one. One question I have is whether it is advisable to go from 3/4" to 1/4" given the volume of air emanating from the turbine, and whether a gravity feed gun is a good match for this type of unit.

Thanks

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:01 pm
Franke, some confusion here on what you have and what you "need." You have an HVLP Turbine system which flows a lot of CFM at about 6 p.s.i. Guns must be specifically designed with those larger fittings to work with your turbine. The gun you list is a conventional higher pressure low CFM gun designed to work with compressed air, hence the smaller fittings. You need this type of TURBINE based gravity gun.... http://www.tptools.com/TP-Tools-ProLine ... l?b=d*8051
You can find other clones of that style gravity gun made by Fuji and several others. As for your hose, get a new one. I make my own out of spa hose from Home Depot. The stuff is tough as nails and gets more flexible as the turbine warms up. Regular garden hose fittings usually will fix it right up.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:58 pm
Thank you very much for your reply. You clarified two main issues for me regarding what would be an appropriate replacement gun, as well as options for the hose. As for the gravity feed versus suction feed question, it seems that the former is preferred by pros, though before spending $150-$250 I might first look around for someone locally who could replace the needle packing in the one I have (that came with the unit), as well as give it a thorough once-over before opting to replace it altogether.

One other thing that needs attention are the two filters that appear to be made from open cell foam located at either side of the Wagner turbine. I've tried rinsing these out to remove what looks like clumps of dried lacquer dust but most of it remains. One of them looks so old and dried out that it could probably crumble in my hand. I've looked online for OEM replacements but have come up empty. Any suggestions on what I could use/make that would be a suitable replacement?

Thanks

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:11 pm
Hi,

I also have the Wagner 2600. If the gun you have came with the unit then it is a turbine spray gun although I recall Wagner brought out an updated version of the gun a few years ago. The fact that it has a cup below the gun is immaterial - it is pressurised which often is the case with turbine HVLP guns due to the lower pressure. You may get away with an unpressurised gravity cup but most likely not an unpressurised bottom cup style gun.

I also had an issue with the packing around the nut. Just fyi, I bought the Apollo 7500 gun which can be used in either configuration and is of a more modern design and seems to me to spray out better leaving a higher quality finish. I don't have the experience though to comment on its merits over other guns such as Sicmo types. I also use the disposable 3M pressurised cups although you can use (pressurised) metal cups if you want. The Apollo cups are pressurised cups for both above and below configurations.

For small jobs, the hose quality is a bit moot as it won't heat up too much. Larger jobs and dragging the hose around a lot combined with the heat will make cheaper hoses degrade faster. The better hoses will have a 4-6 foot section of heavy duty hose connected to the turbine unit. YMMV

Cheers.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:48 pm
Franke, as for those filters they really are not that "special" to the system. You should be able to go to any Home Depot or Lowes and hunt down some fairly open cell bulk foam probably sold for air conditioning units. Just cut it up and stuff it in. Listen to the sound of the turbine with the old filters in it and listen to the turbine with your new media in there. It should sound about the same if packed properly. In some turbine designs these are simple automotive carb. paper or foam elements.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Tools and Supplies