Rattle Can vs. Harbor Freight's 1.5 CFM gun. Is HF blowing..

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:50 pm
I need to do a plastic bumper cover. I am am intrigued by the low CFM number on the HFT Gun but it may be more BS than real. I could use the eqpt. i have vs rent the big stuff.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint/detail-spray-gun-91011.html

Any thoughts on this vs. that thread?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:27 am
Unless it has a 3" spray fan width the math just does not work on atomizing paint with only 1.5 CFM supply. However, it has decent reviews.

Just repainting a bumper cover unless you are looking to learn (which we always encourage!) sometimes it's better to find someone to shoot it for a couple hundred bucks. You'll be halfway there with tools/supplies anyway...and results may not be as good as a pro (or semi-pro) doing it.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:25 am
chris wrote:Unless it has a 3" spray fan width the math just does not work on atomizing paint with only 1.5 CFM supply. However, it has decent reviews.

Just repainting a bumper cover unless you are looking to learn (which we always encourage!) sometimes it's better to find someone to shoot it for a couple hundred bucks. You'll be halfway there with tools/supplies anyway...and results may not be as good as a pro (or semi-pro) doing it.

I am looking forward to trying, if I mess up I will take it in. No harm done.

Hey, If I send you 50% of the cost of the gun will you purchase it and post a review?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:38 am
I can reccomend a different gun for less.

http://m.harborfreight.com/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html

The two drawbacks are that the cup cover doesn't seal because it's a metal lid with no gasket. Also the spray pattern doesn't adjust to a full fan. It stays more conical.

I have sprayed a few projects with it and it sprays really well for small jobs. Would likely be ok with a pancake compressor.

But, if you are set on that siphon feed gun, then I'd be interested in splitting the cost and doing a review.

-Vetsen

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:15 am
cool, give me your paypal and I will send you 11 bucks to try it. I would be interested in a review of the 2 guns in a good old western shoot out....

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:30 pm
Vetsen wrote:I can reccomend a different gun for less.

But, if you are set on that siphon feed gun, then I'd be interested in splitting the cost and doing a review.

-Vetsen

Hey Vetsen,

Did they have the gun in stock?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:46 am
Yea.

I bought the gun. When I was there I noticed an almost exact gun. Both with 4001 molded in the side.

I bought the one you specified. I noticed it's a 1.7mm tip. With such a low CFM rating it's hard to believe.

I'll do a test today or tomorrow and report back.

-vetsen

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:09 am
I'm slow getting to this.

The gun you are interested in seems to be more of a beast than a 1.5 CFM air sipping gun.

I can't tell you exactly how much air it consumes, but I compared it to all other guns. It's closer to a full sized gun rather than a mini touch-up gun.

I sprayed a few small panels. My first panel had lots of orange peel. Then I turned up the pressure and slowed down my travel speed. Then I got runs.

I hooked up my mini HF conventional gun and straight away it sprayed so much better. Less overspray, better finish. Both guns feel cheap in my hand, but when you see that clear lay down flat, my mind makes the mini purple gun feel like a really nice gun.

Siphon gun has a 5" fan and the mini purple gun has a 3" pattern in my tests.

I'll post some more details later, but I can't reccomend the siphon gun.

-vetsen

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:48 am
thanks for the review, a well spent 11 bucks. I guess you can use it when you do your deck or something.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:26 pm
I use the purple or silver hf gravity fed guns for spraying primer. I have used them in the past for small projects like a boat engine cowling and a toper off a K5 blazer. figure for how cheap they are, can't go wrong for spraying primer :goodjob:
1969 CAMARO SS X66 work in progress

Return to Tools and Supplies