good compressor for painting

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:18 pm
I bought this compressor off craigslist and was wondering if it's good enough to paint

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:51 pm
Probably OK to do one or two panels at a time with an LVLP gun... not enough to do a whole car at one time...it's going to run alot and get hot, when this happens it creates alot of water in the air line, make sure you have a water filter at the gun and change it often...drain the tank frequently

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:36 am
Check the cfm of the compressor and compare it to the spray gun you're using. If your spray gun requires more cfm than the compressor can provide, you'll be in trouble when trying to paint an entire car.

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:20 am
Diaphragm machines are typically weak. I have used them for small panels in a pinch. Heat may also be an issue which means issues if you can't cool the air low enough for your filter(s).

You need a piston pump with min CFM of the gun you will use.

I now roll with a 7.5 HP, 2 stage on a 80 gal tank.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:07 pm
Ditto, 7.5 h.p., 2 stage, 80 gallon. Drive most any air tool or even a couple at a time. You don't worry about running "out" of air (read that as CFM).
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Tools and Supplies