Used Quincy Compressor

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:22 pm
I am looking at this used Quincy and wanted to get the forums thoughts on using it to paint. I am just getting started and this will be my first car--a small Triumph GT6.

I am planning to practice on my wife's golf cart and maybe paint some small stuff will I take apart the GT6.

Any thoughts on this compressor? I am looking at probably going with a Finish Line gun.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Qui ... 12330.html

14.6cfm at 40psi.

Thanks

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:41 am
That would be bare bones minimum compressor to drive your spray gun providing it actually puts out the CFM they say it does.
I would recommend you spend a little more and get into 5hp/80 gallon size. You won't regret buying bigger but you will definitely regret not buying big enough.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:01 pm
I appreciate the response and agree completely. My issues are budget and size...not sure I could fit an 80 gallon in my garage. Also, some of the 5hp 60 gallon tanks have similar specs as this Quincy. There is a husky 80gal 5hp that puts out 16.1@40. In my mind, that doesn't seem much more but maybe it is.

My other thought is that I am going to be focused on smaller projects--my GT6 and then a re-paint of my Spitfire down the road, maybe my friend's Spitfire if the GT6 turns out ok.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:29 am
t63conv wrote:I appreciate the response and agree completely. My issues are budget and size...not sure I could fit an 80 gallon in my garage. Also, some of the 5hp 60 gallon tanks have similar specs as this Quincy. There is a husky 80gal 5hp that puts out 16.1@40. In my mind, that doesn't seem much more but maybe it is.

My other thought is that I am going to be focused on smaller projects--my GT6 and then a re-paint of my Spitfire down the road, maybe my friend's Spitfire if the GT6 turns out ok.

I just picked up the husky 5hp 80gal and it is a big compressor. I have only sprayed one test panel with it but coming from a 3hp 15 gal compressor this one is amazing. Price was good and seems like a solid piece.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:50 pm
What is it about the Quincy that everyone is having trouble with? Is it the hp at 3.7? I think the 14.6 @ 40 cfm is similar or better than other 60 gal compressors. The Quincy name and reputation/reviews is what is driving it for me. The IR SS5L5 has better specs but it doesn’t get very good reviews.

What about PUMA? A little out of my price range.
http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Pum ... /p592.html

I looked at the Husky and CH 80 gal and they will not fit where I have room for a compressor in my garage.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:30 pm
Quincy certainly isn't a bad name. I think that compressor is their low end however. So probably not horrible but like Jim said it is right on the edge in terms of CFM for running a sander or an HVLP gun.

Two-stage operation would be nice. Tough to hit that $800 price point.

Return to Tools and Supplies