Homemade Paint Booth

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:59 pm
I am still gathering info and a ways away from painting anything:

I have read of multiple setups regarding homemade paint booths and read some on negative vs positive pressure, dangers involved, etc. My question really involves more of overspray: I was planning on painting in my 20x20 garage and sheeting the walls and floor with plastic. Seems like if you were using an hvlp gun, you would not have to worry about overspray on your walls but is the need for plastic sheeting (and adequate air flow) because of the paint atomization in the air possibly landing on walls, equipment etc?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:06 pm
The main reasons for the controlled environment are:
1.) The Isocyanates contained in the paint products. These things will KILL you and in some case only one exposure will produce serious lung problems.
2.) To prevent contaminants (i.e. dirt, bugs, dust, etc.) from getting into your paint job.
3.) To evacuate any over spray that will settle on your paint and around your shop.
4.) To keep the neighbors from reporting you for spraying hazardous chemicals.

This thread has lots of good information in it: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10122&hilit=homemade+paint+booth
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:35 pm
I must say that is a pretty impressive paint booth. I am to the point where I am going to have to try and arrange my 20x20 garage to the point where I can shoot my vette. I will be going the plastic method also for my first paint job. If it turns out half decent and I choose to make a hobby out of this, I have a 40x60 foot modern cinder block barn that has sat empty for years with the exception of it being my man cave and a place to store my boats. The top of it is completely empty and would be the perfect place to build a paint booth such as the one you have 68, more than enough room. I would have to install a lift to bring the gar up to the top and widen the door but that isn't a big deal.....this is something to ponder on.
100_1751 (Small).JPG
Give a man a brush, and he will paint a Picasso.
Give a man a spray gun, and the wife better hide the car.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:01 pm
Just be sure to read the entire thread since I realized there is room for much improvement.
I am getting close to a redo here pretty soon.
Also talking about either moving or building a bigger garage. Sometimes the cost to build is larger than the cost to relocate to a bigger facility.
Still weighing the options.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:47 pm
68Coronet-
Yours was one of the posts I read initially. I like your setup. Couple of follow up questions as I don't quite understand based on the pics.

1-First pic shows a wall with filters which I assume have air blow through them with your two fans in the 2nd pic. However looking at the front and back of this wall, it doesn't seem to line up--I only see two fans and a eight filters. Is there a 'box' framed inside the wall with the two fans blowing air into that 'box' and out the filters?

2-is it a 2 car garage and you hung a sheet between the two bays to separate?

I have a 2 bay garage 20x20 but no windows or source for fresh air other than the double garage door. There is a man door on the opposite end but it leads to the house and I plan to tape it from the inside and outside. My thought was to build a pony wall the size of my garage opening and install 2 fans at the top with a filter setup blowing air through a flexible duct along the ceiling to the middle of the garage. 2 fans at the bottom sucking air out through a filter set up. Higher CFM at the top to create a positive environment.

Return to Tools and Supplies