Air Line Plumbing Suggestions

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:09 pm
Hello all,

I'm about to set up an air line to my 60 gal vertical compressor (3.7HP Kobalt 155psi). My intentions are to run basic autobody air tools and a paint spray gun for priming only. I have plenty of room to work with as my area is 20 high x 15w x 33 deep. I'm looking for advise and suggestions on the proper dryers and filters to use, how many needed as well as the placement of these items so that the life of my tools will be a little better. I've done some research but I'd like to get your thoughts from those of you with the experience . Also this is just a hobby that I'll be restoring my 69 Camaro prior to farming out the final paint job. But I'd still like to minimize any water that may occur during the use of tools and priming. My plan was to run the air line horizontally just above the compressor (6-7 feet above floor) with 3 runs of 10 ft long. At the end point (10 ft away from compressor) I was going to install a drop w/a valve to bleed off collect water and a Tee (just above the valve) with another ending horizontal line with the filter and regulator needed. Also has anyone heard of using the RAPIDAIR system ?

1. Since the compressor runs with oil I'm guessing that I will need a oil coalescing filter? and where should it be placed in the system?

2. Where should my added regulators be installed and how many ?

3. Should there be an added regulator and filter right off the compressor or is that an overkill?

2. How many desiccant filters should I be using also as well as their placement ?

Is there anything I'm missing? Also remember, I'm not doing this for a career or $$ but only for myself. I don't need a professional set-up costing big $$ as prices can go from $15 to $1000 or more for a filtering system. I just want it to work for a hobbyist :neutral:

Thanks everyone in advance... I'm all ears

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:08 pm
This question has been asked repeatedly over the years and many in depth posts have been made giving detailed answers.
Try using the Search function and if that doesn't work then post your questions.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:37 pm
I realize this subject has been beat to death but I just installed the exact system and posted it on another site....if it helps there is no problem transfering the info.

Finally decided on an air compressor and installed it. Went with one from Lowes, 60 gal., twin piston, 4hp, 230 volt, oil lube. After attaching to the floor using rubber mounts to cut down on the vibration and noise, I ran 12 gauge wire back to the main box and made a direct connect into a 20amp breaker. Next step was to run the lines. The compressor is rated at 13.6 cfm @ 40psi. A quick call to the manufacturer told me this rating was correct when run threw a 3/4 inch line. The next question was what type of pipe to run. In doing some homework (along with some help from Saltfish members), I was advised never to use PVC or galvanized. Over time PVC will get brittle and a blow out is akin to a fracture grenade, galvanized will flake off and end up in your tools or product. Black pipe is acceptable but over time will rust from condensation on the inside. The best pipe of choice was type L copper tubing which is a little thicker than the standard type M. Having never had to solder pipe together before my joints are not the prettiest, but they are sealed and solid. I installed a cut off valve right at the tank and ran the line to a 12 inch drop valve to collect and discard any condensation. I then made a run of about 35 feet which hopefully will give any heated air from the compressor time to cool down and installed another drop valve on the end. I teed in my air access joint and installed a PneumaticPlus SAU4000 series air dryer and filter ( a good suggestion from Jay ). Fired the whole thing up and it works like a charm...no leaks, no blow outs. My next step will be to blow the entire garage down from the floor to the rafters with a power wash in the end to make my new man cave as clean as possible and set up with tools. Cost of compressor...$474, cost of wire, breaker, and hose...$85, cost of copper pipe, all fittings and valves....$210, cost of air dryer....$153, Total project cost so far....$922. I knew this part would hit the wallet a bit heavy but in the end I think I gained a nice setup.
DSC_1824 (Small).JPG
DSC_1826 (Small).JPG
DSC_1819 (Small).JPG
Give a man a brush, and he will paint a Picasso.
Give a man a spray gun, and the wife better hide the car.

Return to Tools and Supplies