Turbine/HVLP Sprayers

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:19 pm
Hello everyone first time poster. Enjoyed reading all the great information so far. Hard to find a definitive resource on these turbine sprayers really.
Looking at building my own and utilizing commercial gun/hose, for automotive painting application. Should save some money over a purchased one and think it will be fun to build one and will have a better understanding of the machine in doing so.

I was reviewing a thread linked earlier, from quite some years ago:
http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fine- ... emade-hvlp

I am trying to decide on my turbine arrangement. My first thought is that I would prefer to "overbuild" it. As discussed in that thread two turbines were hooked together, inlet to outlet. A 2 stage and a 3 stage turbine, thus equating to a "5 stage unit". Given that a 2 and 3 stage unit purchased together are a decent amount cheaper than a single stage 4 or 5 unit I am in favor of that idea. However, this is where I am confused. My understanding is that a vac turbine can only "put out" what is takes in. For example, given that the stage 3 is taking air from a stage 2, would that not mean that I would then only have basically 2 stage 2's, since the 3 can't suddenly make more pressure/cfm than the 2 is putting out?

My other concern is heat and power, would 2 units not put out more heat than one larger single stg 4/5 turbine, and require more current?

I am trying to decide between joining a stage 2 and 3 together and rolling with a single stg 4/5 unit.

I've also looked at ready made systems and even with purchasing what I need to I am at 50% retail so I can get better equipment for the same price.

Thanks for the time and help.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:37 pm
I've PMd delta1 here with some information on this. It's a little "out of the box" for the regular stuff on here....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Tools and Supplies