Astro Europro Evo-t or Sharpe Finex FX3000 for clear

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:04 am
Hey folks. I am just getting started with spraying and have used the HF purple gun for refinishing some metal cabinets for the garage with decent results. I am now ready to graduate to painting some panels (both mine and my wife's car have rear bumper scratches). I have ordered all products from **********, specifically their universal clear, adhesion promoter, epoxy primer, and waterborne W&G remover. My compressor setup is a 240v 5hp that puts out 12cfm to a 45gallon tank. All hoses are 3/8" with high flow fittings. I have set up inline water/oil traps and desiccant drier from CH.

Now to the actual question:

I would like to purchase an upgrade to the HF for spraying the clear (obviously). I am considering the following and wondered if anyone here has used either and can provide feedback to help in the decision making.

Astro Europro Evo-T (different than the evo4014 / star s-4000)
http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-E ... B00HZBX0VI

Sharpe Finex FX3000
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0019CSVA ... ref=plSrch

I know neither is a Sata or an Iwata, but I'm not planning on painting an entire car, just an odd panel or bumper. This forum has been tremendously helpful in knowledge building thus far and I'm hoping some of you folks that have used either can provide your feedback.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:54 am
You will not run the Astro with that compressor, it's around a 13 CFM gun. The Sharpe is closer to 10 CFM so you'll have a better chance of success.

Regarding quality I'm going to guess both guns are comparable. I've used both brands before and for cheap guns they are really not bad at all. I like a metal cup better myself, that's just my personal preference.

Glad you find this forum useful, nice to hear that.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:37 pm
Chris, thanks so much for the reply and the advice. I missed the CFM requirements for the Astro so thanks for pointing that out. Suffering from a bit of analysis paralysis from several weeks of reading forums and YT reviews of various guns....

I ordered the Finex and will post review once received and used. I've already received a request to spray a new Mopar bumper for my cousins Jeep so that will be the review.

Thanks again and I look forward to being an active participant on this forum.

Return to Tools and Supplies