Air Compressor problem

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:15 am
Hi, im a self employed furniture painter.

I've switched to using HVLP however, its a 6 cfm compressor wth 1.5 hp. The spray gun doesn't spray paint as quick as i hoped, and the compressor is constantly on because once its full of air it only takes 30 seconds using the spray gun, for the compressor to fire up.

Problem with that is the air compressor is in a sound proof box which is over heating badly.

Pointers i need answering:

Is my compressor just crap being only 6 cfm (the air gun came with it)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-82160 ... 240v/48089

Ideas on how to keep my sound box cool

And anything else i need to know :)

A quick reply would be great as my business is at a halt at the moment.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:08 pm
Please read this thread, especially the part about sizing a compressor. It will explain everything you need to know and how to determine what size compressor you need.

http://www.autobody101.com/content/arti ... ould-know/
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:28 pm
They had no business bundling an HVLP gun with that compressor...sorry but that compressor is good for inflating tires or running an air brush, that's about it.

Also, any time you enclose an air compressor that way you are signing its death warrant.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:49 pm
Hey there, Jflowers123.... I am a furniture conservator/refinisher here in the States. Have you ever considered using a turbine spray system? They are one of the few set-ups that can indeed tolerate a "sound box" if built right. Chris is right, any compressed air system is going gag and die when you do that to it. Do some searching on the internet and on the forums here by typing in "turbine HVLP sprayers" and read, read, read. Even if you are spraying thicker viscosity materials you'll find a 3 or 4 stage turbine system will handle that with a good gravity gun.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Tools and Supplies